Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
195 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 194

JD in KC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

more packards
Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
Hey guys, in the process of scoring a great deal on 2 1955 patricians, one with power windows, and the other with factory air. one of them is probably not restorable, but good for parts, and the other might be restorable, though i may part it out.

Myy question is, for more experienced guys, what parts are interchangeable???

I nneed, on my police car, a grille, a heater blower and some other odds and ends. i know the 55s were positive ground, so are they still useable on neg ground systems? do simple electric motors like the fan blowers care abot polarity?

Thanks for all the help!

Posted on: 2008/12/28 15:22
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Re: more packards
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Motors mentioned don't care about polarity. Grill has different pattern and unless you change the bumper as well to account for the different "dagmar" locations, and maybe a couple of other things, won't just bolt in. If same wheelbase/style, a considerable amount of things will interchange mechanically but may be different as to looks.

The AC is a find if in complete and working shape, although there were some minor plumbing changes for 56 it bolts right in. I installed the unit now in my 56 from a 55 parts car using the field instructions that are available on site. There are very few parts available though if something needed.

Posted on: 2008/12/28 15:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
both good things to know. thanks

its hard to compare from memory while out in the drizzle and cold. are the starters and generators the same as well? the one eith power windows is less likely restorable, so i may strip it and use it as a stockpile of parts.

i was also under the impression they used a slightly smaller carb on the 352s is that true?

sorry for the loads of questions! these cars are too good of a deal, and i want to know what i can use.

Posted on: 2008/12/28 16:32
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Starter and generator will swap. Different numbers but specs essentially same. The generator would need to polarize properly but no big deal. Not sure if regulator would swap. Carb would fit mechanically and be drivable but as you said, differences in size plus a couple of other things. Almost everything mechanically would change as a unit but there are some differences. Engine, trans, rear end, TL compensator, some electronics as an example would swap & be serviceable but be different--thus not correct.

Posted on: 2008/12/28 16:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
most of the big stuff on my current car is fine, so im not to worried, plus, im not really going for a numbers matching rebuild, i just want it to work and be essentially original.

what were the differences in the trannies? i will probably save one of them as a core/ source of parts, if they are close.

Posted on: 2008/12/28 17:48
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
To get a detailed ideas of changes, you almost need to sit down with parts book or service manual 56 supplement and compare. Externally they look the same except the 55 has cast iron case vs aluminum in 56. Internally many of the components same but others had rework for strength, deficiencies, usability, serviceability etc. The valve body was changed considerably resulting in a different shift pattern and response for 56.

Posted on: 2008/12/28 18:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
well...... i trailerd the first 55 home last night, and it is in much better shape than i first thought.

It is a 1955 patrician, same interior as my car but with a much smaller clock. It has factory A/C, and wire spoke wheels that look to be original. all the exterior lights work, though i havnt tried the turn signals. it has 53000 miles on it, and builds oil pressure even when cranking. the gas tank is shot, and the T/L is gooked up to a two pole momentary switch. electric fuel pump is bypassing the mechanical. in the trunk there is a new bendix treadlevac unit, a spare tire, blus the bumper jack. there is an ancient T/L poster in the front seat.

this car was found by my friend only 2 miles away from the shop where he found his 1954 henny junior ambulance.

Posted on: 2008/12/30 10:07
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Of particular difference between 55 and 56 is, as noted, the rear axle assembly. The 55 is a Packard-built unit which uses tapered axle ends with lug bolts instead of the flanged axles with lug studs on the Dana/Spicer unit on the 56. Thus brake drums, internal parts like ring & pinion, carrier, and perhaps bearings won't interchange. It might be possible to substitute the whole unit, not sure of what might be involved. The 1956 offered Twin Traction (an early positraction) which 1955 didn't.

Posted on: 2008/12/30 10:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
my 56 doesnt have twin traction as far as i can tell, and it has great brakes.

does anyone know why these two 55s have different ignition bezeles? the good 55 has the 'starter' bezel like the 56, but the parts car has a larger flat topped hood shaped one. both look stock.

ive come to realize that not alot of the parts are inerchangeable, but for the price i couldnt pass them up, and the stuff i really want will interchange.

Posted on: 2008/12/30 10:58
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I made the mistake of investing in a '55 Patrician that was running, but not at all roadworthy, thinking I could use parts leftover on my '56 Patrician rolling resto project to upgrade the '55 and resell for a small profit. However, except for a handful of minor parts, what the '55 needed couldn't be had from the '56.

My best advice would be to make one great '55 car from the two '55 Pats, but leave the '56 out of that equation. Restore the '56 on its own; if you really need a parts car to do that, seek out another Patrician parts car of same year.

When you're done, sell what you don't need on eBay. You'll get more bank for your buck that way

Posted on: 2008/12/30 12:11
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved