Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
229 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 226

Tom (Packin31), Ozstatman, dallas, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Wiper Motor leaks at seal
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Okay, I thought I'd tackle the wiper motor without sending it off. Really, it was easy to dissemble, clean and re-grease. I had to cut a new gasket from stock material because it broke.

Here's my hang-up....

Now that it's back together, it leaks around the gasket. Of course, the leaks prevent the wipers from operating.

I really, really think the screws are down pretty much all the way. I'd hate to tighten them more, as I know - I just know - I will break one.

What I am thinking is there must have been something applied WITH the gasket upon reassembly. Maybe silicone?

Any thoughts on getting an air-tight fit?

Posted on: 2008/12/28 16:02
 Top  Print   

Re: Wiper Motor leaks at seal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
IIRC the original gasket was very thin. Am wondering if your new is thicker or stiffer and not seating somewhere. For my 2 bits, a SMALL amount of silicone wouldn't hurt--just take care it doesn't ooze out and get in any valve or passage. You are right to be careful on the screws. They might not break but the pot metal they screw into will strip very easily.

Posted on: 2008/12/28 16:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Yes, the new gasket material was thicker. I went ahead and applied silicone. Will wait to allow to dry and see what happens.

Posted on: 2008/12/28 18:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If significantly thicker, then the place where the flapper hinges or pivots may be so loose that the vacuum is leaking under the flapper pivot from one chamber to the other. The leak may actually not be the gasket but the pivot itself. Might have to make a new gasket out of something like parchment paper or maybe even typewriter paper and use the silicone.

Posted on: 2008/12/28 18:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Oh, great. I wondered about that area. From applying soapy water the first go-round, the leaks were all around the sides. The new gasket material is 1/32".

We'll see what happens....

Come to think of it, the pivot areas should be sealed off by the gasket as well because the motor construct is flat there, and also, there is gasket to seal it off.

Posted on: 2008/12/28 18:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The gasket needs to be ultra-thin, you can make one from simple notebook paper and gasket cement or silicone. But to perform properly, the two housing halves have to mate closely and I'll bet yours are distorted, perhaps from over-tightening the screws, perhaps from age. Get a straight edge and clean up the housing surfaces first.

Posted on: 2008/12/28 18:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
I appreciate the input. It's all assembled and drying, now. So, I'll takes my chances.

I will go with notebook paper if it fails.

Speaking of "if it fails," one more question. Those oblong screws are a pain. Are these by chance a typical thread? If I have to go through this again, I would like to just replace the screws with philips-head screws.

Posted on: 2008/12/28 18:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Never checked the thread size, but should be simple enough for you to do so. Those screws may be proprietary Trico items and occasionally you see the special screwdriver at flea markets for $1 or less.

Posted on: 2008/12/28 19:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Yeah, I suppose if I have to re-do it again, I'll take it w/me to Lowe's to check for screws.

Posted on: 2008/12/28 19:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A 6-32 nut screws on nicely. The threaded length appears to be 5/16 long though which you may not find.

Posted on: 2008/12/28 20:06
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved