Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
243 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 241

John Sauser, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

New dash knobs for 1930
Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
I just got off the phone with Travis at Lavine Reproductions. They bought Yesterday's Radio and happily have been making and selling many of the plastic parts for our Packards since May.

Newly listed are the dash knobs for 1930. I have been under the impression from various research that the original color of dash and steering knobs (plus, on the Custom and Deluxe 8s, the window riser knobs and insets in the escutcheons, door lock handles, insets in the dome light and robe rope fasteners and the rear seat god-help-us handles) for 1930 was ivory and that the Catalin plastic gradually over the years turned the caramel color you see in almost every photo today. The Service parts list says there was also a "green tint" option for the plastic parts that year. I've never seen an example of that color or other reference to it.

Travis informed me there was a burled walnut brown style used in 1931 which may also have been used in 1930 as an option or otherwise. I've found no reference to this color in the Parts List. The folks at Lavine have been trying to reproduce that style, but so far without success. They have samples of the burled knobs. Photos below.

Can anyone help shed light on the color(s) available for 1930?

In the case of the Big 8s, many of the plastic parts are not being reproduced. Except for the dash knobs and door lock handles, all mine are all in good shape so I asked Travis if they could match the caramel color of the aged pieces. There is an extra fee, but they can do it.

Attach file:

jpg  (16.80 KB)
156395_59fce108130e4.jpg 450X600 px

jpg  (18.61 KB)
156395_59fce118b1f82.jpg 450X600 px

Posted on: 2017/11/3 14:13
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: New dash knobs for 1930
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
All of the Catalin knobs on my 740 had turned brown and the previous owner had bought new ivory colored ones from Yesterday's Radio, The door knobs were apparently not available then so I polished the old ones in a lathe using fine abrasive paper followed by cutting compound. The brown color was only on the surface and they cleaned up to an ivory color slightly darker than the new reproduction ones.
I am not aware of them being offered in brown, the Packard approved accessories catalog issued Nov 1 1929 shows a white gear lever knob that was offered along with a horn knob to match the handles. There is no mention of an alternate color.

Posted on: 2017/11/3 16:53
 Top  Print   

Re: New dash knobs for 1930
Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
Thanks for the accessory information, David.

Just looked at a photo of a 1930 7-33 and its horn button and gear lever knob are black, probably Bakelite. The 1930-32 Parts List says the seventh series gear shift knob could be had from the factory on all models in either black or onyx. Eighth series was available in black or onyx on the juniors, walnut or onyx on the seniors. Mine must be accessories as they are both ivory (now caramel colored) Catalin.

The option of walnut for the senior '31 shift knob is the only suggestion of walnut burl-patterned Catalin in the Service Parts manual. The accessory list for 1931 offers "corresponding knob and button to complete the ensemble" but doesn't specify available colors.

Posted on: 2017/11/3 19:09
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved