Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Rekeying replacement trunk lock cylinder
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
No, 6 heights and 5 wafers is 6 to the 5th power combinations.

1-1-1-1-1
1-1-1-1-2
1-1-1-1-3

.... etc.

Posted on: 2009/1/5 19:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
IIRC, the tumblers only project through one side of the cylinders used in our Packards. The lock cylinders used in glove compartment doors of GM vehicles followed a similar pattern well into the 1980s.

The teeth on the key are what move the tumblers flush with the cylnder, allowing the cylinder to be rotated within the housing. While there were some locks that used two different keys in the same cylinder, I never saw that in automotive use. Don't overthink this.

Jeff's example of x to the nth power (where x = the depths of cut and n = number of tumblers/wafers) is correct.

Posted on: 2009/1/5 19:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Okay, I'm installing, and the C-clip that holds the lock linkage to the tailpiece of the cylinder is not going on tight at all. You can snap it on and remove it by hand with very little effort. I am afraid that just closing the trunk could pop the clip off and then, I'd be locked out.

I had this problem previously and just sort-of overlooked it. I bought new clips in a clip assortment pack at the auto parts store. Every single one goes on loosely. There were 3 or 4 of this same size.

And since the clips are made of high-tensile steel, you can't just bend them to make them tighter. They tend to warp and/or break if you try to use pliers to close them for a tighter fit.

Any suggestions? I'm still thinking....

Posted on: 2009/1/5 19:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I used an "E" clip, never came off and fit perfectly.

Posted on: 2009/1/5 21:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Okay, first let me apologize. It turns out I asked a stupid question - or at least, it feels that way. I went to a different auto parts store to check their clips (hoping maybe I got part of a bad batch at the first store). No luck - the same problem.

I went to Lowe's and found a better assortment. 7/32" clips work. The owner before me (and then me, after I broke his clip) was using 1/4" clips. Going down 1/32" was all it needed.

Job is done! Trunk finally locks. Thanks to everyone for input and help.

Posted on: 2009/1/5 21:40
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved