Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
231 user(s) are online (151 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 228

Don B, bkazmer, Packardbarry, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Feeling Sorry For Myself
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Ok, I feel like a total MORON!! You are absolutely correct! I can't believe I didn't catch that, other than it's late and I'm tired as he!!...!

Posted on: 2009/1/6 2:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Jay,

I popped over to your web page and reviewed the section on your previous efforts. You have done everything I would try, and obviously understand what is involved. The speedy sleeve looks good. The only thing I can think of is the seals you have been getting are substandard. I have heard there are some troubles with seals from some vendors. I installed the Kanters version and am having no trouble. You might try that. I am also thinking that going back to the original 200 ft-lbs torque is over crushing the already crushed crush sleeve. The 200 ft-lbs I believe is for post new crush sleeve installation. This could be your problem with the noise.

I think this is beatable. Hang in there, you'll get it stopped.

Jim

Posted on: 2009/1/6 2:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't have lots of experience with that particular rear axle, but if it whines you know either the pinior bearings are in need of replacement, the preload is way off, or the ring and pinion need adjustment.

If you don't install a new crush sleeve and/or remove the axles and set the bearing preload correctly, in my experience the next best thing you can do is to return the flange nut to the exactly same number of turns as it was with the previous crush sleeve and hope for the best. Of course that assumes it was done before.

Am I missing something here, I've heard of so few even minor problems with these rear ends that I always assumed they were close to bullet-proof.

Posted on: 2009/1/6 10:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Per 39Super8's revalation to my armchair quarterback comment about sleeving the pinion shaft, I am wiping the egg off my face as well. Indeed it is as Jim states. I don't even recall what I was drinking. And I'm the guy who had his yoke sleeved.... please deduct the appropriate points from my reputation and add them to Jim's.

Posted on: 2009/1/6 10:32
 Top  Print   

Re: Feeling Sorry For Myself (Not Really)
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
Sorry for the confusion. My problem is terminology. It is indeed a yoke not the pinion shaft.

Posted on: 2009/1/6 13:55
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jay Faubion
See User information
I guess I'm just going to try this again. I don't have any idea in the world what I could be doing wrong.

I called up a transmission shop today and I'm going to take the car in and do a seal install with a pro. I've GOT to be doing something dumb.

Posted on: 2009/1/6 21:10
Jay Faubion
Ask me, I've got one!
Visit JaysPackard.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
On the Packard, or any conventional rear axle, you need to be careful when replacing the pinion yoke because it must be adjusted perfectly. If not the crown gear and pinion will not mesh correctly.

The crush sleeve must be tightened correctly, this is critical for silent operation and to prevent wear.

Do you have a repair manual?

Posted on: 2009/1/18 14:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
Have you checked the rear axle housing vent to make sure it is not plugged? Just a thought.

Posted on: 2009/2/23 12:58
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved