Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 154

Packard Don, HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Ultramatic Transmissions
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Charles Neuhaus
See User information
I know that the 55 Ultramatic had a cast iron case and that the 56 had an aluminum case. Was the change made as part of the retooling for 56, or did some 55's have the aluminum case? If so, were all aluminum case Ultramatics built to the 1956 specifications? I'm asking because I am reassembling a 55 Patrician, but the Ultramatic has an aluminum case. It may not have come with the car originally. Many thanks!

Posted on: 2009/1/6 23:23
 Top  Print   

Re: Ultramatic Transmissions
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
What is the number that is stamped on the rear of the case directly above the pan mating suface????? That mite give us some idea of when it was made.

Posted on: 2009/1/6 23:34
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
This is what PV8 is asking for and may be very faint.

Attach file:

jpg  (50.54 KB)
209_4964b2239ab54.jpg 640X391 px

Posted on: 2009/1/7 8:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
That's the Utica manufacturing plant transmission number referred to in the Technical Service Bulletins. The last significant upgrade to the "B" series was at B-7139. The "B" prefix is for Clipper Custom I believe. Not that there were all that many differences in the transmissions between car lines (except the Caribbean), mostly valve body components.

The numbering for each alpha-prefixed transmission number was simple sequential numbering beginning at 1001 as I remember. With an aluminum case it's a 1956 transmission, and a fairly late one I'd guess.

Posted on: 2009/1/7 10:04
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Charles Neuhaus
See User information
Unfortunately my transmission is about 40 miles from where I live, so I won't be able to get the number until Saturday. Will let you know then.

Posted on: 2009/1/7 15:54
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Charles Neuhaus
See User information
Well I looked at the ultramatic casing. The good news is that it has a number, the bad news is it doesn't look anything like the number on the photo. The number starts with a faint "O" (this is either the number zero or a capital letter O). This is followed by three clear numbers, 217. Does this mean anything to any of you? Thanks for the help.

Posted on: 2009/1/11 10:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Beginning with "O" ?????

I'm guessing: Probably a Work Order transmission or case. Any history on the car???? Did it ever belong to Packard employee????

Posted on: 2009/1/11 11:11
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Charles Neuhaus
See User information
No idea, but I do know that the numbers don't match. It is a 1955 Patrician with an excellent body that I bought from an old repair shop in Georgia. The car was totally disassembled, but all there. It came with two engines, one a 320 and the other a 352 out of a 55 Clipper Custom (same engine as the Patrician)which we have rebuilt. It also came with three Ultramatics, two of which had been cannibalized. The 0127 Ultramatic is complete and the one we plan to use. Sooner of later it should be a super car.

Posted on: 2009/1/11 12:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Check that "O" on the trans #, it's probably a "D" which would be a correct code. An aluminum-case "D" series would be a 1956 chassis 5680 (Patrician and 400). Numbering usually started at 1001 so trans# 217 would have Been D1127, but perhaps it was stamped incorrectly.

Posted on: 2009/1/11 15:29
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved