Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
178 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 175

Don B, 37Blanche, Dennis Miller, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Washing a Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
A good friend and USAFA classmate sent me the following email. It was the result of an email thread about my 1956 Packard Panther project, but applies to any Packard or any car for that matter. I thought this forum would get a kick out of it.

Quote:

Craig,

Hearing about your Packard Panther took me back to when I was 11 years old and talked my dad into letting me prove that I could wash cars for his customers at his service station. He had a blue 4 door 1950 Packard (straight line flathead 8 cylinder) and agreed to give me a chance to prove that I could have the job. He pulled it into the wash bay and said "OK, show me what you can do." I grabbed the soap and bucket and washed it twice to make sure I didn't miss a spot. I proudly told him I was ready for his inspection. He backed it out of the wash bay, while his employees came over to see my handiwork. There in the bright sunlight was not a shiny blue stylishly looking Packard, but a very faded blue car. He asked me "What did you wash it with? I went into the wash bay and brought out the box of soap I had so vigorously applied to my dad's automobile. He took the box and read the writing on it: "BORAXO, Heavy duty powdered hand soap, professional grade, dissolves grease and grime, made since 1894."

Needless to say, I didn't get the job at that time, and I had scrubbed so hard, he had to get his Packard repainted, - and I lived until I was 12 and finally got the job.

PJ

Posted on: 2018/4/23 10:35
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Re: Washing a Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
That reminds me when I was growing up and a buddy of mine washed a car for someone. It was a white Peugeot but had some road grime and tar on it and he decided to make sure to get everything off..... with steelwool
Needless to say, the car was dull, almost like flatblack but white. His dad ended up paying for a paint job.

Posted on: 2018/4/23 11:47
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Similar story, but on my mother's '48 Buick convertible, with White King D detergent left in the sun to really get out the dirt while I had a Popsicle. It had to be "porcelainized" to restore the luster. I'm not sure what that was in 1951, but it looked great when it came home, except for the bill.

Attach file:

jpg  (241.70 KB)
1067_5ade0f6cf1f2d.jpg 1920X1317 px

Posted on: 2018/4/23 11:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Mine is not a washing woe but is a waxing woe. Hint: Like the White King, NEVER EVER apply Turtle wax on a car in the sun and leave it sitting while you go inside for a leisurely drink. I didn't try Boraxo or steel wool to get it off but I doubt using either could have looked any worse or upset the parental unit more.

Posted on: 2018/4/23 12:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved