Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
243 user(s) are online (168 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 241

Gary Kulp, JD in KC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fuel Gauge Sending Unit
Just popping in
Just popping in

Rick North
See User information
I need to replace the fuel gauge sending unit on my 1937 115C. Are there replacements available? I see a thread for post-war Packards but not pre-war.

Posted on: 2018/5/26 17:07
 Top  Print   

Re: Fuel Gauge Sending Unit
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Typically the older units are repaired, not replaced. Consider Wolf & Co., long time in the business with an excellent reputation.

Attach file:

jpg  (45.29 KB)
177_5b09ddd48b8d2.jpg 1200X392 px

Posted on: 2018/5/26 17:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And if the original has rusted or been damaged to the point Wolf cannot repair, check out KM Lifestyle.http://www.mykmlifestyle.com/KM_Lifestyle_Mfg.html Their website says they can repair or maybe reproduce many early senders but I don't know if any Packard people have tried their products or their track record so as with everything, do homework.

Posted on: 2018/5/26 18:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Rick North
See User information
Thanks, fellows. Can I assume I will have to drop the tank to get at the sending unit?

Posted on: 2018/5/29 14:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Most Packard tanks need to remove to access but IIRC, the sender is at an angle sort of on the upper tank side in 37 so someone else will better answer that specific tank removal question.

One thought on the faulty sender. Aside from the resistance element corroding which needs an instrument repair place, a couple of other frequent sender problems that give a continuous empty reading has been the float deteriorating or the wire connecting to the sender getting damaged.

If you have the cork float, check out some Chevy truck vendors for a usable replacement. They have repro cork floats treated with ethanol resistant materials which by using a single or maybe adding two will come close to original Packard dimensions. If brass, some Ford floats may work.

Posted on: 2018/5/29 14:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
I needed a new sender in my '39 Super 8 as the one in my car was a modified ford unit that gave erratic readings. So when I saw KM Lifestyle...http://www.mykmlifestyle.com/KM_Lifestyle_Mfg.html above I checked them out and just now my new unit came in and looks correct (Atwater Kent). I'll let you know when it's installed how it works. (KM is a pleasure to work with!)

Steve

Posted on: 2018/6/14 16:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
I said I'd get back, and I have - had it installed last week by Rich Bonetti (aka Mr Packard) at Northeast Packards in Medford, NY. Just got my second fill-up and works like a charm!

Posted on: 2018/8/7 23:04
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved