Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
204 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 203

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Help w/ 39 Sedan Six oil filter
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

mgrambo
See User information
My engine's mount for my oil filter is on the bottom front drivers side of my engine. I do not know the diameter of the tubes that go from my engine to my filter. Also, which tube connects to what part of my oil filter. My inserts for my oil filter are on the side and bottom of the filter. I have two plugs on the side of my engine. I'm assuming that's where the tubes will go that connect to the filter. Does the upper plugs go the the side of my filter and the bottom plug go the the bottom of my filter?

Posted on: 2009/1/10 23:07
 Top  Print   

Re: Help w/ 39 Sedan Six oil filter
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Just curious which filter you have. The pictures I see of 38-9 filters in shop manual & dealer displays appear different than those with the side and bottom connections as used on later cars. Was there more than one style available? The later ones which mounted at upper drivers side of engine I can help with info for but not the other.

Posted on: 2009/1/10 23:57
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

mgrambo
See User information
Yes, I bought the newer oil filter so I could change the filter when needed. The 38/39 oil filters would not let you change the filter. I did not want to mount my oil filter to the side of the head because I would have to drill and tap the holes. I was hoping that I could mount the newer filter in the same place as the old with no modifications.

Posted on: 2009/1/11 10:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here's what I have on the later ones. It appears there were two types though, one appears more conical on bottom so hopefully your filter will be labeled as in and out.

If your block has the same plugs as later 6's then the oil out would be the bottom and return the top in both cases. The tubing was 1/4" steel.

Attach file:

jpg  (37.50 KB)
209_496a148e9cdff.jpg 400X663 px

jpg  (62.10 KB)
209_496a149d327ef.jpg 780X546 px

Posted on: 2009/1/11 10:47
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

mgrambo
See User information
Is this how I would connect the tubes? Still not sure if this system will work for the bottom mount. Has anyone made these same modifications?

Attach file:

jpg  (93.73 KB)
1120_496a2f715f6e5.jpg 1280X720 px

Posted on: 2009/1/11 12:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Looks like it would work. Would keep an eye out for the vibration that apparently broke the tubes on that 1800 version and maybe make them a bit flexible. Only other drawback might be the low mount would allow oil to drain back from engine when filter open so mite be a bit messy when changing--also unknown would be if drainback might deprive something of oil until replenished.

Posted on: 2009/1/11 13:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

saltydog
See User information
I belive that the oil filter bolts to the head or just below it.
I don't think your engine will fit between the frame rails with the filter bolted below the generator.
Greg

Posted on: 2009/1/11 19:27
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

mgrambo
See User information
I think you're right. The bottom tube will not fit. Does anyone out there have the dimensions of where I need to mount my new filter. If someone had pictures of their engine w/ oil filter that would help too.

Posted on: 2009/1/11 22:25
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I think my '54 has one of these "earlier" filters where the inlet is on the bottom and the outlet is on the top. I just plumbed it the opposite way to match the normal plumbling for the '54.

Posted on: 2009/1/11 23:42
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

39Pickle
See User information
This is the filter set up on my '39 Six. The tubes are copper and attach at the base of filler neck and block. I wish this picture showed that better but it's the only one I have of the engine at this point. Hope it helps.

Having a hard time uploading, you can see the picture here:
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1669&forum=10

Posted on: 2009/1/12 8:26
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved