Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
171 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 170

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Dual Master Cylinder
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

silverplate
See User information
Can anyone recommend a good dual brake master cylinder for conversion on a 1936 120. Thanks...Mike

Posted on: 2018/6/12 20:25
 Top  Print 

Re: Dual Master Cylinder
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Don't expect any great response to this. Yes, for safety reasons, several cars I know have dual master cylinders and vacuum boosters. Problem is, there is no engineered "kit" to do this. You might get a couple replies regarding "what I've done", but in the end, you are pretty much on your own to fabricate a mount for a common master cylinder (selected by mounting adaptability) and roughly the comparable weight and brake system that master cylinder approximately supported.

Posted on: 2018/6/12 23:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The greatest contribution to braking safety you can make is to completely re-tube your car making certain the tubes are routed and fastened down neatly. In way more than 30 years of screwing around with old cars I have never seen a brake tube fail except from corrosion, usually external as a result of road salt. Do you drive on salted roads? New tubes and flushing the fluid every few years will give you reliability.

The problem I have seen with several cars retrofitted with dual master cylinders is that the push rod does not have enough stroke to activate both chambers fully. I can tell that when I am bleeding brakes and opening any one bleeder screw allows the pedal to go to the floor. It is a fools paradise in that case.

So if you install a dual, make sure you engineer it correctly to achieve full stroke of both pistons otherwise you have gained nothing.

Posted on: 2018/6/13 6:54
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

silverplate
See User information
Thanks for the replies David and Ross.

Posted on: 2018/6/21 14:25
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved