Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 215

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

strange startup rattling noise on 1934 super 8 1103
Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi all,
Just recently when I start up my car there is a rattling noise coming, I think, from the right hand side of the engine.
After a while the noise disappears or if I stop the car and re-start it. It seems to happen when the car has been left not running for a few days. The oil pressure is good
Has anyone had experience of this and how do I fix it.
Looking forward to your replies.
Regards
T

Posted on: 2018/6/26 5:12
 Top  Print   

Re: strange startup rattling noise on 1934 super 8 1103
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
OUTOFTHEBLUE guessing ur looking at a broken Valve Spring

Posted on: 2018/6/26 13:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hi Terry - nice to hear from you, it's been quite a while!!

Always leaves a question in my mind when someone says right (or left) hand side of the engine; does that mean right as when sitting in the driver's seat, or right as when facing the front of the car? The meaning is clear if one were to say the manifold or non-manifold side of the motor.

Wrist pin knock if more of a clicking sound? Or if more a dull thud perhaps a little piston slap? Both would mitigate as the engine warms up. Even with good oil pressure could also be a rod knock. To evaluate further, #1 and #8, furthest from the oil pump, are the most likely culprits as they are the last to receive oil; disconnect the spark plug from them and see if the noise goes away?

Dave

Posted on: 2018/6/26 14:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Yes Dave it has been a long while, but the old girl is so reliable that I don't have anything to write about.
I always look at the Pinfo site to keep in touch with the world of Packards.
I always take the position of the engine as I am sitting in the cab, so yes it is on the exhaust manifold side of the engine. I will try your spark plug trick today.
Thanks Packardbarry I didn't think of that.
regards to all
T.

Posted on: 2018/6/27 0:47
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved