Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
173 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 170

PackardsPete3, CarFreak, John M, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Big 3 life supports???
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Over the last 2wo decades, Corporate America has cried over pension costs.

Here are some OFFICIAL published GM numbers for salaried retiree pension system ending 2007(rounded numbers):

1. 200,000 pension recipients (average $1k/month check).
2. $34 Billion current pension fund value.

I calculate a one time payout of $173K for each recipiant and GM can cut the cord never to see,hear or touch a retiree agian.

So, WHAT is corporate Americas problem? Cash'em out and cut the cord. GREAT Econ Stimulus Plan Too.

-K

Posted on: 2009/1/13 14:02
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Re: Big 3 life supports???
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
We spent about 100 years in an effort to give these basic benefits to the average worker while the Robber Barons cried about the fact that they now had to pay taxes.Now that times are tough, its the worker that is the problem.No one seems to complain about the excessive salaries of our CEO's.I can remember when the Chrysler/Mercedes Benz union was going through, they published the salaries of their CEO's.Chrysler-$7.5 Millon, Mercedes Benz-$450,000.00.Hmmm.Something just seems a little out of wack.Maybe our companies would do better if we had the free health care offered by Europe and Japan.

Posted on: 2009/1/13 19:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
There's no such thing as "Free" in free healthcare.

Somebody is gonna pay.

Posted on: 2009/1/13 19:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
Correct.Maybe $3.00 a gallon Gas tax would cure our health care, our pollution and our balance of payment problem with all those oil countries that love us so well.

Posted on: 2009/1/13 20:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
One fact that I think that is overlooked in the case of Chrysler and the reason that they are in such bad shape
can be put into two words MERCEDES BENZ.

The MB Chrysler merger when it happend I thought would make a strong company, but MB mismanaged Chrysler right into the ground. Just my 2cent about Chrysler.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/1/13 20:37
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
We have what many call "free health care" in Canada. Actually it is about 70% publically funded with about 30% private. There is no such thing as "free" as has been stated and so we do pay more income taxes and higher fuel taxes etc.(as do most western European countries that have similar systems) than in the US. I like it and have been well served by it but many citizens don't for ideological reasons or because they think the US system offers better care and less wait times etc.
One benefit the car makers have in building cars in Canada is that health care insurance is not a big factor in union negotiations to the extent it is in the US since the system is publically funded so it has benefitted our economy by creating jobs here to some degree.

Posted on: 2009/1/13 20:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
QUestion about 'free health care' in i'national countries:

Does the governement keep track of every dime spent on an individuals health care and then attach that individuals estate upon the individuals death for reimbursement??????

Posted on: 2009/1/13 23:23
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
PackardV8 wrote: QUestion about 'free health care' in i'national countries:

Does the governement keep track of every dime spent on an individuals health care and then attach that individuals estate upon the individuals death for reimbursement??????

Keith,

As Dave quoted for Canada, where there is a split between public and private costs, Australia has a similar system. And although government agencies track healthcare costs there is NO recoupment from the estate of anyone should they die. The costs covered by the government are as Dave said, paid out of the higher taxes and charges they gain as revenue from us.

Posted on: 2009/1/14 2:47
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
QUestion about 'free health care' in i'national countries:

No, at least not in Canada. Think of it as an insurance plan run by the government. In Ontario we used to pay out of our paychecks for the plan premium every month like Blue Cross etc. Since about 1966 it is payed in taxes with no need to make monthly premiums. Doctors are not employed by the government but work in private clinics and hospitals and bill patient fees to the gov't.

Posted on: 2009/1/14 9:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
For some reason, there is only talk in the media about the pain the American makers are suffering. What is not said very much is that all of them, Toyota included, are hurting pretty bad.

The issue for American makers, to some degree, is the cost of labor, because it is higher for them.

The bigger issues, however, are that credit is tight and consumers are scared of committing to debt even if they could get a loan. It was a fun ride during our last bubble. You either adjusted your standards upward in the bubble and are suffering for it, or you managed to live well below your means and are suffering less.

The demand for cars was too high. Production capacities were increased. These capacities become fixed costs to a large extent. The variable costs are increased labor. It is easier, but not easy, to shake labor costs by lay-offs, but when it comes to shutting down plants, that process does not come as painless. The debt incurred to build/acquire/re-tool the plants is fixed and still must be repaid.

This is a new era - at least for a while. Demand was too high. Demand has come back down, and so, he we are....

Posted on: 2009/1/14 10:31
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved