Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 7
Guests: 147

CarFreak, Todd W. White, kevinpackard, HH56, 39Rollson, humanpotatohybrid, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Anyone know how to repair motor mounts on 1955 clipper custom 352
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

55clippercustom
See User information
Hello,I was just wondering if anyone has any experience repairing motor mounts for 352 in clipper custom? My mounts had separated,It appears motor was just being held in by weight!Just flat metal pieces attached to motor itself! If anyone hasn't repaired any,do you know best place to buy them reasonablly? Thanks!!

Posted on: 2009/1/13 17:20
 Top  Print   

Re: Anyone know how to repair motor mounts on 1955 clipper custom 352
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You can pay to have them revulcanized but it's about half the price to just buy new ones from Kanters.

Posted on: 2009/1/13 17:32
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

55clippercustom
See User information
Thanks,I looked @ them closer tonight,and it appears that I could just tack weld them back together in a few places,although Im wondering if that will prevent them from asorbing the torque during acceleration!I may be able to bend ears back around to the other piece of the mount. Its hard to tell if they have just separated or actually broke!!

Posted on: 2009/1/13 19:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
When in doubt, jack the engine up a bit and pull them out to inspect them. Don't forget when you put a load on the driveline, one mount is under compression and the other under extension.

The repro mounts from Kanter have been in my car for some years and seem fine. Both of my originals had the rubber separate entirely from the steel.

Posted on: 2009/1/13 20:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I also have Kanter repros on the Caribbean.

Posted on: 2009/1/13 21:22
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Russell James
See User information
Same message on the mountings. Like Owen_D, mine had also separated totally.

Very happy with the pair on the car now from Kanter. Even with the cost of shipment to Aus, I still felt they were good value compared to any repair method.

IMHO you have got some big horses to move a big machine, that's a lot of torque on the mountings, ...better hold them well!

Cheers

Posted on: 2009/1/14 6:54
Russ (the prodigal son)
56 400 (sold 2022)
39 1702 7 pass touring (long term project)
38 1602 7 pass limousine (needs work)

Learnt to drive on a 50 in 1969
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Best thing to do is to replace the motor mounts. The rubber in the mounts have turned harder than wood??????

If u can find some other motor mount that can be retro fitted with minimal modification to the mount then that mite be a cheaper way to go. Maybe not.

Most likely the mount that is broken is the LEFT side???? It's dangerous. When the engine lifts it tries to roll to the rite side of the car lifteing the left side of the engine and thus pulling the throttle linkage OPEN thus making the engine lift worse and at some point binding the linkage in the wide open throttle position.

Let us know if u find a good close retro fit mount. I've not been able to find one. BUT, i havn't tried real hard to find one either.

Posted on: 2009/1/14 8:08
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Charles Neuhaus
See User information
Steele Rubber will replace the rubber and vulcanize it to the metal parts. I haven't had to use this service, but everything I have purchased from Steele has been first rate, and the rubber will be fresh, whereas the Kanter rubber may have been on the shelf for a long time.

Posted on: 2009/1/14 12:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Chuck. That's cheating!!! why not find a mount from some other application at a fraction of the cost????

Posted on: 2009/1/14 13:03
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Why not just buy the correct mounts in the first place? Kanter's repro mounts are MUCH cheaper than having your old ones revulcanized.

Posted on: 2009/1/14 13:23
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved