Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
80 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 79

John Iaccino, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Dropping the Oil Pan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim Kavanagh
See User information
I need to drop the oil pan in my '52 to replace the gasket below the timing chain cover. In an earlier post, Ross advised that I would need to unbolt the idler arm and let the steering assembly drop so I have room to drop the pan. He also advised "You will also have to remove the lower bellhousing half." This said so matter-of-factly that it sounded like no big deal.
I am there now and the idler arm is no problem. The lower bellhousing anchors the pivot for the clutch, but everything else is pretty straight forward. This lower bellhousing is a big beefy hunk of iron. I assume that I can just drop it down without worrying about supporting anything, it does not look like I need to jack the trans up or anything like that. Is that right?
This is a whole lot of trouble to drop an oil pan!

Posted on: 2018/7/30 1:23
1941 Touring Sedan
1952 250 Convertible
1932 902 Rumble seat Coupe

Who is John Galt?
 Top  Print   

Re: Dropping the Oil Pan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim Kavanagh
See User information
I could get all the bolts out, but it was tight. But the pan still gets hung up in the front between the frame and I assume the bearing cap. I think sliding it back further first is needed, so removing the cover may provide that room.

Posted on: 2018/7/30 9:05
1941 Touring Sedan
1952 250 Convertible

Who is John Galt?
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You probably just have to rotate the crankshaft a bit for the oil pan to clear one of the counterweights.

Posted on: 2018/7/30 9:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
I needed to raise the engine on my 51 300. The pan was hitting the frame. at the time I could see no other option

Posted on: 2018/7/30 15:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Take a look at Figure 1 in Section IX of the '54 Service Manual. The graphic depicts the engine in #1 TDC or #8 TDC, please note the counter balance for the #1 piston & rod. I don't believe the oil pan will drop down enough to clear this portion of the crank shaft, and if it did the next challenge would be the 'big end' of the #2 rod. I believe the 'sweet spot' is found at #1 TDC (either end of compression or end of exhaust) plus 90 degrees. That should place both #1 and #2's crank throws and counter weight cheeks horizontal. With the engine in this position you should be able to see if a corner of #1 counter weight is still going to be a problem. You may find rotating the engine to + 95 or +100 degrees maximizes the oil pan clearance.
dp

Posted on: 2018/7/30 17:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim Kavanagh
See User information
I got the pan off today by manipulating the position of the counterweight and the rod as suggested by Owen and David. Fortunately, my mounts are good so I have decent clearance between the frame and the pan. It is still tight, but I should be able to maneuver it back with the gasket in place.
Thank you all for the helpful suggestions.

Posted on: 2018/8/1 1:24
1941 Touring Sedan
1952 250 Convertible

Who is John Galt?
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved