Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
207 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 207

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1934 Eight Transmission gear slip
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

DonO
See User information
My 1934 Eight slips out of high gear when coasting down hill. The April 15, 1936 service bulletin states that a new high,second sliding gear was available to solve that issue. The gear was part number 190401 with the word "front" stamped on it. Are any available? Are the other transmission gears either NOS or reproduction available?

Posted on: 2018/12/11 11:39
 Top  Print   

Re: 1934 Eight Transmission gear slip
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Ive been looking for one of these updated gears for 30+ yrs now and so far '0'. As far as i know never has been reprod. Guess the update gear has a hair more gear length for more engagement.

Pop-Out is typ caused by gears surfaces not being parallel with each other. Typ reasons for this are gear wear, shaft wear, or the big one bearing wear which allows the input shaft and output shaft not to b inline with each other and thus the gears (2 slippery slides against each other).

Over the yrs ive learned to rely more on the brakes than the trans to slow me down. One little trick i have picked up is when u hit a grade is to tap the shifter every 5 to 10 seconds to drive the slider gear back into position. Dont just hold the shifter because after time u loose the oil film between the shifter fork and the gear and then its metal on metal.

BTW: yrs back ran across a period piece of Chry Lit that told the dealer what to tell the customer when he came in complaining about his new Chry poping out of gear. Was just BS and no fix. SO trans were pop-outing out when new.

Posted on: 2018/12/12 11:19
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved