Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 144

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

1948 Super Side View Mirrors
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Walt Haskins
See User information
Okay guys, here's one you can solve. I have a '48 Super convertible. Restored before I bought it. Some bone head had installed the mirrors up on the window frame on both sides, couldn't see anything but the moon in them. We pulled the chrome trim on the doors, and you can see where this bone head actually welded up the holes from the original install, and had them rechromed. Don't ask me why.
We've pulled the mirrors, and now I'm going to have to have the window frames welded up and rechromed. Want to put the mirrors back where they belong.
The side view mirror base, however, is too wide to fit down in the channel of the chrome trim on the doors. The holes in the mirror base align up perfectly with the welded up holes in the trim, but the base won't fit down in the channel of the trim itself.
Now, it occurs to me that one of two things is happening. Either the mirrors I have are for a later year that had a wider channel in the chrome, or the mirrors I have are right for a '48 Super but there was some kind of spacer between the base and the channel in the chrome that would allow the use of this mirror. I guess there could have been a smaller base as well, but then the arm for my mirrors would over-hang the base on top and bottom.
Could someone look at their mirrors and tell me whether the chrome mirror base fits flush in the channel in the chrome trim (i.e. my mirrors are not for a '48 or I don't have the correct bases), or whether there was a spacer, and if so, what does the thing look like?
I guess there's another possibility, we have the wrong trim, but it sure looks right to me.
Photo of current install is attached.
THANKS!

Attach file:

jpg  (147.52 KB)
273_4978ea832a2c2.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (93.75 KB)
273_4978eaaf89f11.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/1/22 13:56
 Top  Print 

Re: 1948 Super Side View Mirrors
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Walt, if you say the trim was chrome, then perhaps you have the wrong trim as the original was stainless steel.

The correct mirrors for the 48-50 are available as repros and fit perfectly, no spacer used. I wish I had a picture to post. Just from memory, the base is very thin and nests between the two raised beads on the trim.

Regarding the 36 Twelve owner's manual, I'll see the owner in a few days and see if I can't get him to agree to careful handling on my scanner.

Posted on: 2009/1/22 16:09
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Walt Haskins
See User information
All right, I figured out how to downsize the pictures and I've now uploaded them to the original post. The base, shown between the two screws which are visible, is too wide to fit into the channel between the raised portion of the trim. Someone has welded up where the original screw holes are in the trim, it appears from looking underneath, but you can't see it from the outside, so I assumed it had been welded up and then chromed. Do I have:

1. Wrong mirrors (Kanter looked at photos and said they were right)?

2. Wrong base (if so, the base of the arm, which then screws into the base, would overlap the base on top and bottom)?

3. Wrong trim (as trim has had screw holes welded up, this would seem unlikely)?

Thanks for help.

Walt

Posted on: 2009/1/22 16:57
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I am going to suggest that there was a changing in the mirrors sometime between 1949-1950. Your door stainless trim looks exactly like that on my 47 Super Clipper and the mirror Kanter specifies in their catalogue indicates that there are two mirror sizes; one for the 1942-47 Clippers and 22nd (1948-49) Series cars and one for the 23rd Series (1949-50). Dave (Owen) is correct in how the mirrors fit between the two outside ridges. The mirrors presently mounted incorrectly on your car may be correct for the 23rd series models. Attached is a photo of the 1947 style.

Attach file:

jpg  (25.80 KB)
13_4978faf52f7b9.jpg 384X594 px

Posted on: 2009/1/22 18:03
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Clipper47, good picture of the mirror mount as I remember it, and that is some really fine-looking paint work on your car.

Posted on: 2009/1/22 18:32
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Owen, Thanks but the photo is not of my car although the colour is the same.

Posted on: 2009/1/22 18:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
You could use a strip of heavy rubber in the channel between the screws to fill the void and make it sit flat. Just a suggestion.

Posted on: 2009/1/22 20:36
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
Your trim should indeed be stainless, not chrome. It also must be 22nd shape. the 23rd is considerably different.
The attached photo is a mirror on a 22nd series.

Attach file:

jpg  (84.58 KB)
462_49793aec58119.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2009/1/22 22:37
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Caribbean
See User information
what is the color on this green car? it is gorgeous!!!!!

Posted on: 2009/1/23 14:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
There should be a metal spacer between the mirror and the belt moulding that fits between the ribs on the moulding. Thickness is 1/16 inch, width 5/16 inch and length 4-1/8 inch with the ends slightly rounded to match the base of the mirror. Diameter of the holes is about 3/16 inch with spacing to match the mirror base.

Attach file:

jpg  (304.79 KB)
1137_497a345b14aa6.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/1/23 16:26
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved