Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (168 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 224

BigKev, Don 37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: '50 Custom Eight Sedan
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

apackardfan
See User information
Thank you John.
You appear to be the expert.

So, in other words, the seller thinks it's a Custom Eight and it is not. Great....what have I gotten myself into?
Lol.

Posted on: 2019/3/10 7:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Perhaps you could ask for a photograph of the little data block that shows the model and the construction sequence number...as well as a photograph of the engine number. Then it is easy to know what it is...also a photograph of the stamped theft proof number would be helpful...Owen or others can then check their data bases and tell you what he old girl is. Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2019/3/10 11:10
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Wasn't there a discussion of a 22-23 series car for sale a few years ago that had been owned by a former Packard mechanic. I seem to recall the car in the discussion started out life as a lower end model but the mechanic had made changes and added a lot of Custom parts to upgrade it during his lifetime. After he had passed it was being sold as a Custom by an heir who was not too up on Packards or knew the cars history. Could also be a car that for whatever reason was missing it's patent plate and someone found an incorrect one.

Posted on: 2019/3/10 11:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

apackardfan
See User information
I hope to get up there sometime this coming week.
I will attempt to photograph the body plate and engine number.
And drive the car.

Posted on: 2019/3/10 18:07
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

apackardfan
See User information
I am familiar with old cars, but not Packards.
From late '80s to 2005, i owned and enjoyed many Hudsons, many Olds 442's and couple of Vettes and a '57 Chevy and a few others. I have been out of the hobby for 14 years.
When I go to see this Packard, is there anything in particular I should look and listen for?

Thank you all.

Posted on: 2019/3/10 18:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If it is a Custom it will have the 9 main 356 engine and could have an Ultramatic or perhaps an overdrive and maybe an optional Electromatic clutch. Obviously the Ultramatic needs to work but if a standard and OD then see if the OD works. The EC might not be functional but if all the parts are still there it probably could be made to work -- if not for drive reasons, at least as an interesting conversation piece since not many still have functional units.

Standard and OD is no different from other cars. If it has the EC the clutch is vacuum operated and if turned on, once the engine is started and vacuum is present the clutch rarely needs to be touched again. Turn the EC off and it works like a conventional clutch.

If it has an Ultramatic and you have never driven one then it is not quite like other automatics of the day. That trans is a two speed non shifting unit with a torque converter which provides a simulated low gear ratio and contains a clutch to lock out the converter when at speed. If you select H it starts and stays in High. At approx 20 mph depending on throttle the direct drive clutch comes in to lock out the converter and effectively puts you in a solid gear train just as you would be in a standard trans. Same action if you start in Low except all happens at lower speed. When coming to a stop, at approx 11 mph the direct drive drops out and you are in converter drive again. There is NO automatic shift between L and H as there was in some other auto trans of the day so that part has confused many unfamiliar with the operation. Acceleration in H is very smooth but also somewhat leisurely. You can do a manual L to H shift for better acceleration but the trans was not designed for this so there is no synchronization between gears and could be a rough shift. Doing the manual shift under power can result in damage so if you do the manual shift be sure to let off the gas a brief time to let things change in the trans to avoid undue stress.

You probably won't be driving in the dark during a test but the instruments had what Packard called Flite-Glo illumination. Basically the numerals and pointers are painted with luminescent paint which is activated by UV filters over the bulbs. They are supposed to glow a bright green but over the years the paint could have worn out or flaked off leaving the instruments very dim or even dark at night.

Posted on: 2019/3/10 19:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If it is a 23rd series Custom 8 and has standard shift, it was most likely converted in its later life as Ultramatic was standard equipment in that year and model.

Posted on: 2019/3/10 20:04
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

apackardfan
See User information
Howard and Owen

Thank you for the information.
The vehicle does have the Ultramatic.
And I look forward to driving it.

Posted on: 2019/3/10 20:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Just looked at the Goldenrod website and it for sure is an Eight, not a Custom Eight--no egg crate grill, short wheelbase etc. Which means in actual practice it is more of a pleasure to drive and much easier to park.

Posted on: 2019/3/10 20:15
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

apackardfan
See User information
Ross

Is it an Eight or is there also an Eight Deluxe?

Posted on: 2019/3/10 21:24
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved