Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
238 user(s) are online (154 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 233

Packard Don, BigKev, Wat_Tyler, Ozstatman, Don 37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Coachbuilt Mystery: '51 200-based convertible in the style of Saoutchik
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Found this coach-built mystery on BaT: a 2462 1951 200 Deluxe four door touring sedan converted by the French custom coachbuilder in the style of Saoutchik into a two door convertible. It has the flamboyant chrome accents typical of so much of their work, both pre-war and post-war:

https://bringatrailer.com/2017/05/01/coachbuilt-mystery-1951-packard-200-convertible-by-saoutchik/

Interesting, for sure. I'll leave the aesthetic judgements for each to decide for himself.

Steve

Added 3-26-2019

I too remain skeptical of the seller's claim crediting Saoutchik with this work. The other major French coachbuilder that worked in this rather flamboyant style was Figoni, who carried on until 1955 after he and Falaschi dissolved their partnership.

Whatever the case, it was by a custom shop with enough skills to convert a four door body into a two door convertible shell, no mean feat. The model number 2462 and windshield rounded upper corners are evidence of its basis. The windshield does appear to been lowered in height. It would be interesting to see more of the details such as what the convertible top looks like up. It appears as if they didn't modify the trunk lid and forward panel to accommodate the folding top well. As far as plastering it with broad stainless trims and heavy grille bars as well as the obligatory 'continental' kit, well that was just someone's "taste".

It could be worse, they could have had Spohn in Germany work it over in their unique style of customs based on American cars.

Note: added the "in the style of" to the title.

Attach file:

jpg  (45.31 KB)
409_5c9a9d22998dd.jpg 620X413 px

jpg  (37.10 KB)
409_5c9a9d3634baf.jpg 620X413 px

jpg  (38.78 KB)
409_5c9a9d4b7b28b.jpg 620X413 px

jpg  (39.18 KB)
409_5c9a9d60861b1.jpg 620X413 px

Posted on: 2019/3/24 12:59
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Re: Coachbuilt Mystery: '51 200-based convertible by Saoutchik
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm a bit doubtful and would love to see some solid proof of its authenticity.

Posted on: 2019/3/24 14:08
 Top  Print   

Re: Coachbuilt Mystery: '51 200-based convertible by Saoutchik
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
You are not alone in thinking this.

Posted on: 2019/3/24 23:15
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Re: Coachbuilt Mystery: '51 200-based convertible in the style of Saoutchik
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Seems like a lot of work to create a coupe from a sedan when one could simply start with a coupe. Wonder if the builder was able to order parts such as whole doors and quarter panels from the U.S. and have them shipped over.

This is the first Packard convertible of this era that I have seen that has standard decklid rather than shortened one. Wish they had provided pic with top up and more detail of how they handled rear seat, if there is one.

Posted on: 2019/4/13 9:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Here's the top up. C-pillar looks narrower and more upright at rear vs. production, suggestive of sedan decklid and attempt to provide headroom for a back seat squeezed in. Something - or someone, perhaps kid in child seat, is in back.

Different view from rear, still no rear seat visible but it might be blocked by folded top.

This car either started as a 2-door sedan or all these parts were ordered including the window sill trim. Otherwise why would an outfit like Saoutchik go through such trouble to make the car look exactly like the conservative Packard design when they had free reign to do whatever they wanted (Darrin dip, etc.)?

Attach file:

jpg  (33.90 KB)
2060_5cb1ff76eb1be.jpg 632X367 px

jpg  (28.54 KB)
2060_5cb1ff8030a33.jpg 491X341 px

Posted on: 2019/4/13 10:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Paul

I second your opinion, Saoutchik would have created something far more wild and stylish when tasked with converting a 200 touring sedan into a two door convertible. Saoutchik had a contract to construct coupe and convertible bodies for Pegaso Z-102 during 1953-'55.

The French Packard agent and service operation would have imported replacement body panels just in the course of their business. If a '51 200 touring sedan had received collision damage, the customer might have decided to have it converted. Mayfair doors and quarters, pillars, internal and ancillary components were as easily sourced as a Telex to EGB Parts Department.

Interesting custom if rather gaudy, certainly unique.

Steve

Posted on: 2019/4/14 11:06
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved