Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 160

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 1954 359 Leaves me sit... again
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Scienceaddict
See User information
So, will the starter from a 356 - autolite max 4052, work on the 288/327/359 series engines?
It appears to drop in, but don't want to try blindly and grind the pinion and and ring gear if wrong.

Posted on: 2022/11/12 17:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Although the main housing and as I believe it had gear drive make it larger, it should physically fit as long as there is nothing else in the way. Where it attaches to the engine was the same for many years. But as I recall, it wires somewhat differently. I've never had a 356 but I did, for years until I sold my '48 Henney-Packard, have the starter with solenoid so this is just an (old memory) observation, not actual knowledge!

That said, the 359 starter was different than the 288 and 327 and I've had much experience with all of those both 5-main and 9-main. Again, they will physically interchange but some have more torque than others so I Prefer to use the one that was engineered for the application.

Posted on: 2022/11/12 17:53
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As Don said, it should bolt up to the block. Because the regular 54 starter pinion can be the type moved into mesh by the Bendix and the 356 starter is the shift type where the pinion is moved into mesh mechanically by the solenoid I would advise comparing the distance the pinion moves out on both to make sure the dimensions are fairly close. Too short a throw and the pinion may barely mesh with the ring gear, too long and the hub on the rear of the pinion may hit. Also, if you are running 12v I would not advise it as the 356 solenoid will overheat and be damaged as well as having a good possibility the strong throw out action could crack or break the nose casting. These starters are becoming rare and can be very expensive.

The 356 solenoid also utilizes a built in relay to bring in the actual solenoid so it has two small screw terminals brought out for the relay coil connections. If the starter is something sold "as is" off ebay then depending on what year 356 engine you will need to check very carefully to make sure there is not a tiny painted over almost invisible strap type jumper connecting one of the relay screw terminals to the large battery terminal. If you find one remove it. With both relay terminals empty one of them will need to be grounded and the wire coming from the starter switch will go on the other.

Posted on: 2022/11/12 19:22
Howard
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Scienceaddict
See User information
The starter I have was kindly provided by @flackmaster, so would have to look again to see. Duly noted on the voltage, I'll need to find a 6v battery. Will compare the ring gear to mounting flange depths to see if they're the same. I didn't know if the pinion size/tooth count was different, I would assume from the previous posts they're not? Would save me needing to find another starter.

Posted on: 2022/11/12 20:21
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Pinions are the same on all starters since at least 1940 at 9 teeth and ring gear is consistent at 140 teeth for standard transmissions and 158 for Ultramatics.

Here are specs on the starters. No torque is given for the Autolite 356 starter in the 50 specs but being a gear reduction type would expect it to be capable of more than what the 54 direct drive Delco will deliver. The 54 starter is interesting. Specs call for a pinion shift Delco starter but some of those seem to have less torque than the early 50s Autolite Bendix types. Apparently a lot of the stock Delcos that should be on a 359 have been changed out for the earlier higher torque starters.

Also throwing in a bit from a Motors Manual on the Autolite solenoid. Note that because of the series pull in winding it must be connected to the starter motor to energize. Like an OD solenoid, the shunt coil alone is not enough to bring in the plunger so it relies on a heavy pull in or series coil which gets ground thru the motor windings. When the solenoid does pull in the shunt coil is then strong enough to hold the plunger and the series pull in coil is in effect turned off because of the same voltage now being delivered to each side of the coil instead of one side grounded. On the tiny jumper strap, I believe it was the 40 (and maybe 41) models that had one terminal connected to the battery rather than have the terminal grounded as is shown in the diagram. Since that era is where Flackmaster specializes be sure to check for the jumper.

Attach file:

jpg  50.jpg (51.28 KB)
209_63704c349323c.jpg 2182X242 px

jpg  54.jpg (118.70 KB)
209_63704c3cd49c3.jpg 1886X662 px

jpg  Autolite solenoid.jpg (278.29 KB)
209_637051e7aa37a.jpg 951X1920 px

Posted on: 2022/11/12 20:48
Howard
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved