Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 213

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: 55-56 Senior Dash Screen Question (Mystery holes)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Kev, that would be invaluable in the case that you have a passenger like this:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IV--ISqrMLs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IV--ISqrMLs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I CANNOT count the times I WISH this would happen to a certain passenger while I'm driving!

Posted on: 2009/2/3 2:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The rite most location would be alot easier to drill for adding a factory type switch. LEFT of the radio is a difficult place. So someone took the easy way out. Probably for an AC sw. Who ever did it was probably not a purist but rather working on commision.
Is there a similar hole between the cigarette lighter and left radidio knob?????

Posted on: 2009/2/3 6:36
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Maybe Kev's on the right track. Any strange holes under the back seat where a big spring or rocket booster might attach?

Posted on: 2009/2/3 9:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
I am sure if these holes came from the factory, somewhere here would have immediately had the answer. It must be they are after-market. Maybe add another lighter and a map light control???

Posted on: 2009/2/3 14:58
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
JeffM wrote:
I am sure if these holes came from the factory, somewhere here would have immediately had the answer. It must be they are after-market. Maybe add another lighter and a map light control???[/quote]

...In-Dash Beer Tap (for the passenger only of course)

Posted on: 2009/2/3 15:28
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Could it have been dealer installed A/C?

Perhaps they put the hole in a different place then the factory location as shown in Howards pic above.

Posted on: 2009/2/3 15:31
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Think "Bond. James Bond." Smoke screen, nails, guns, oil slick....

Posted on: 2009/2/3 15:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
There are two holes there, one small one above the larger one. Also, did these originally go all the way through? What is behind them? Is that the standard backing material?

As I recall, if you looked real close on a factory dash without all the accessories, you could see where the "knockouts" were for additional switches, because that area of the metal screen would be a tad darker than the surrounding metal--indicating a hole through the backing material. There was some kind of fiber board backing behind the metal, wasn't there?

Taking a look at the original parts car as suggested earlier would probably solve the mystery in a minute.

BTW, wasn't this about the most supremely beautiful dash layout of the 50's? Very functional and clean, yet flashy and attractive.

Posted on: 2009/2/3 20:00
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Quote:

55PackardGuy wrote:
BTW, wasn't this about the most supremely beautiful dash layout of the 50's? Very functional and clean, yet flashy and attractive.

Yes, the dash is my favorite attribute of the car. You see fins and other molding shapes here and there on all the other cars, but just try and find a dash like that anywhere....

Posted on: 2009/2/3 20:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
I have a hole in my dash but this was an aftermarket hole some idiot but a balance control switch in ARGH!

Posted on: 2009/2/4 19:19
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved