Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 159

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Rear end Light Bulbs 22nd series
Home away from home
Home away from home

PennyPackard
See User information
Hello,

Just wondering if someone can help me understand the part numbers for the brake light bulbs, indicator bulbs (1158?), license plate light bulb, and optional reverse light bulb, on a 1949 22nd series deluxe 2262-9 sedan. I've been scrolling through the parts numbers and information but don't understand what I'm looking at. Tried searching but only found the 1158 one specifically identified.

Thank you!
Evan

Posted on: 2019/6/12 12:26
 Top  Print 

Re: Rear end Light Bulbs 22nd series
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The Mazda numbers are an old designation and has nothing to do with the current car brand. Just asking for an 1158 or whatever at the parts store should be sufficient.

Here is the bulb number needed in a particular location from the owners manual and some more detailed specs correlating the Packard part number with the Mazda number and info on base contacts from the utility section of parts book. The candle power designation is the amount of light the bulb puts out and in the case of the 1154 or 1158 it means one filament puts out 3cp which is used for the tail or park light and the other is 21cp which would be the turn signal or brake light.

One difference on 22nd series could be the turn signal bulb. There is some question on when Packard switched to the "modern" turn signal system which utilizes the same rear filament for brake and turn signals. In 47 and earlier cars the rear turn signal bulb was separate and only used for the signals. It was an 1129 which is a single filament bulb at 21cp. The question arises because early 22nd series also used that same independent system but the owners manual shows only the shared bulb used in 23rd series and later cars. Unknown when the change was made as the 22nd series wiring diagram only shows the independent system.

Backing or reverse lights were an option and bulb can vary by year and type of housing and whether the reverse light was the factory or a dealer installed and possibly aftermarket unit. Typically they use an 1133 bulb but that is not a set in stone rule.

Attach file:

jpg  (84.37 KB)
209_5d013b3536492.jpg 1256X886 px

jpg  (85.76 KB)
209_5d013b3cea295.jpg 1188X450 px

Posted on: 2019/6/12 12:49
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PennyPackard
See User information
That is great, though I'm still confused about the tail light bulbs. My car has a double contact socket and a single contact socket. I assumed the double was 1158, but I thought the other bulb was for parking/directional (this is the one that's broken now but the other side still works.) but it looks like either way that one is supposed to be a double contact (either 1154 or the mystery early 1129)?

Posted on: 2019/6/12 13:26
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The difference could be in the locating pins. There are two type bulbs. One can only insert one way and has the pins at opposite levels on the base. The other has pins exactly the same and can insert either way. Usually the tail and parking lights are polarized and bulbs only insert one way but some of the old housings are well worn so the slots are wide and locating pins don't do their job. Some of the import bulbs are sloppy with short pins that don't do a good job either.

If everything is right in that respect you should be able to get a 1158 and have it fit and work properly for the stop and tail light. It sounds as if your single contact bulb is for the turn signal and might be an 1129.

Posted on: 2019/6/12 13:40
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Yes, the single contact 1129 is used for the rear directional signal light

Posted on: 2019/6/12 13:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PennyPackard
See User information
Thank you for all your help! Off to the parts store now! Hoping that new bulbs and the brake light switch will get the lights in working order.

Posted on: 2019/6/12 13:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
There used to be a web site called donsbulbs.com, an excellent source for information on all bulbs, but it states when you go there that he has retired and the site is shutdown. But I did find a link to another site that has some useful info about the different bulbs with their watts, amps, base and volts that might be helpful understanding the different bulbs. Here's the link.

https://www.ply33.com/Backmatter/lightbulbs

Wes

Posted on: 2019/6/12 22:50
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You may find this chart from AEA useful. Though it is from the mid-1930s it has most of the 6-volt bulbs used up thru the end of the 6-volt era.

Attach file:

jpg  (160.89 KB)
177_5d0246ce3aa61.jpg 1000X1445 px

Posted on: 2019/6/13 7:51
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

rayallegerzza
See User information
Hi Howard,
I have a question regarding replacing bulbs in my 1950 Packard. According to the chart you were good enough to share, I need two Mazda 82 bulbs and two Mazda 63 bulbs.

Walked into Autozone and another large chain and the kid behind the counter looked at me like I landed from Mars. Trying to explain that Mazda was not the same as the current car got me more blank looks.

Is there a chart in the event they are not made by a different company and are designated with a different number?

Thanks for any advice!

Posted on: 2020/9/6 17:57
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is a bit of history on Wikipedia but basically Mazda was an original brand name for bulbs starting back around 1910 and was used until after WW2. The designation hung around after that probably just from familiarity and became generic for many bulbs like we use Formica and Kleenex and a few other brand names for any product that does the same thing today.

The guy should have been able to look up a plain old 6volt 82 or 63 bulb without any issues. If Autozone doesn't have them, Napa should.

Posted on: 2020/9/6 18:16
Howard
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved