Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (151 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 227

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

TL question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kip56
See User information
My main torsion bars seem to remain "under load."

The compensator bar lever does not come back to near vertical toward the center of the car which would be the neutral or no load position. I put close to 100 miles on my car this weekend with plenty of braking and accelerating and my compensator bar lever remains facing outward towards the frame rail.

I can manually move the rear of the car by jumping the compensator motor up or down to make the car appear level but if I get under the car the comp bar lever points outward.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Posted on: 2009/2/2 11:00
 Top  Print   

Re: TL question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A lot of variables. How much weight and how distributed, sag in bars from old age, length of front links, any number of things affect the short bars & trying to keep things level. Pushing out means it's trying to raise the back end. Caribbeans were a bit of anomaly because of the extra weight and distribution--hence the extra twist in heavy duty bars they came out with. Would be interesting to see how yours compares to other convertibles. Looked at my hardtop and they are inward but how much weight is toward the rear on convertible with all the mechanism & strengthening as compared to regular car?

Posted on: 2009/2/2 11:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kip56
See User information
HH56 thanks for your reply. I will take your advice and check some convertibles but I suspect all TL systems were wound the same which should distribute the weight evenly.
My TL system has worked perfectly for years and not until I used the J-tool to lock the torsion bars in the frame to work on the front end have I now encountered this issue.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2009/2/2 17:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Interesting that it should change after the tool as I don't see why that would make a difference--unless something changed in the geometry.

Since you had all the weight off front end for period of time and now it's tying to raise rear, wonder if possible the bars relaxed a bit and will eventually settle back down. I know it's a wild idea with no basis in fact so don't everyone jump on me at once--just exercising the pair of cells I have left out loud.

Posted on: 2009/2/2 19:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
A lot of variables. How much weight and how distributed, sag in bars from old age, length of front links, any number of things affect the short bars & trying to keep things level.

Sounds like some women I know......

Posted on: 2009/2/3 2:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
What were you doing to the front end that you had to use the tool?

My $.02. If you were rebushing the front end did you leave the A-arm bushing nuts loose and bounce the car, after taking the tool out, so the rubber is not pre-stressed to the suspension?

Posted on: 2009/2/6 21:34
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved