Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
71 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 70

SandmanPac, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Rear Axle Bearing Cups
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The procedure given in Motors is as good as any. I guess I'm a bit suprised about the confusion, this is really pretty basic stuff. You assemble the rear axles and backing plates, tighten everything up and give the right-hand axle a wrap with a hammer to seat the LEFT hand race against the backing plate, and then visa versa. Then measure the end-play, it will be the same on either side as your just moving both axles back and forth via the thrust block in the center of the differential. If the end play is not enough, add shims, more or less equally on each side until it is. Each time you add a shim, whack the opposite axle end to seat the race at the other end.

This doesn't apply to the Dana/Spicer in the 56 Packards, or to the prewar seniors that used opposed sets of 2 rollers/cone bearings at each end. Those axles are adjusted independently of each other, and sometimes shims must be added behind the inner race as well.

Here's the Motors Manual procedure.

PS - I'll add the picture of the prewar senior as well.

PPS - it's all about thermal expansion, that is, how much the axles lengthen while rising from ambient to service temperatures.

Attach file:

jpg  (142.72 KB)
177_4989fb51e93ab.jpg 638X1280 px

jpg  (109.97 KB)
177_4989fcb89de7e.jpg 901X1280 px

Posted on: 2009/2/4 15:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Kev. U will probably need to have BOTH sides of the axle assembled. If One axle shaft is OUT and u are trying to adjust the other shaft then this could be causeing the problem......

If the differential side bearings are worn then that could be causing the problem.

How much too deep do the cups recess into the axle housing????

Posted on: 2009/2/4 15:27
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
How much too deep do the cups recess into the axle housing????

Can only happen if at the same time you force the cup out of the opposite side, and I don't believe there is enough movement of the thrust block to permit this.

Posted on: 2009/2/4 16:59
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I am resuing all the original parts. Remember this car sat outside, and bascially abandoned since 1986, and I have no previous history on it. So that is why I am going through everything thing. I have no idea what was, or was not done previously to it.

The reason I want to check the end play is that the rear axle had 3 shims of different thickness on one side, and a single shim on the other side. So I just want to verify things to make sure any previous unknown repair work was not screwed up.

Based on the feedback here and via email I think I have the proceedure down now.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2009/2/4 18:22
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved