Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
42 user(s) are online (27 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 42

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Auction: '51 200, Beardsley, MN, August 10.2019
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
This VanDerBrink auction at Beardsley, Minnesota, August 10, 2019 includes a '51 200 sedan with manual shift, Lot 101G:

https://www.vanderbrinkauctions.com/catalog/?auction=5385

Chances are it will go very cheap. If you have a Contour that you'd prefer to change to manual shift, here's your parts car.

Steve

Posted on: 2019/8/4 8:05
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Re: Auction: '51 200, Beardsley, MN, August 10.2019
Home away from home
Home away from home

r1lark
See User information
Here is a direct link:
https://www.vanderbrinkauctions.com/lot-item/101g-2/

The last picture shows what looks like an overdrive relay on the firewall, at least the type of OD relay used in Studebakers of this vintage.

Steve, help me out on something (I apologize for my lack of Packard knowledge).......you said: If you have a Contour that you'd prefer to change to manual shift, here's your parts car.

What is a "Contour"? A nickname for a certain style of Packard? Thanks in advance.

Posted on: 2019/8/4 8:23
Paul
www.studebakerskytop.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Paul

"Contour-styled" was the description Packard applied to the new '51 line at the introduction in the advertisements. The '48-'50 Packard were described as "Free-flow-styled" for their smooth modern look. Recall Oldsmobile employed "Futuramic" and Nash "Airflyte" to imply modern and progressive cars.

We use "Contours" now to encompass all 1951-'54 models as a shorthand description.

Steve

Posted on: 2019/8/4 10:01
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

r1lark
See User information
Thanks Steve. I figured there was a good explanation.

I had heard the '51 thru '54 cars referred to as a "high pockets" design, but that to me always seemed somewhat derogatory. I like 'contour' much better.

Posted on: 2019/8/4 14:46
Paul
www.studebakerskytop.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
That would be QUITE the auction to attend! Some 180+ vehicles in the pictures to my count and many of them at least semi-exotic. Hard to imagine accumulating that many cars over a lifetime; not sure at what point it goes from 'collecting' to hoarding, but it would be nearly impossible to maintain or manage a fleet like that. For all intents and purposes, they would just sit there and go to rack and ruin; somewhat sad, really. Now maybe selling them off at auction, some of them can get new owners and fresh starts and head back towards restoration and usefulness. Chris.

Posted on: 2019/8/5 18:05
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
This is like old car heaven.

Posted on: 2019/8/8 17:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Yes that was my reaction, too. A mouthwatering collection of cars only needing new owners and some sympathetic restoration. I've never seen a collection like that being sold off in one go.

It reminds me that we should move our collections on before we depart this earth. That way, we have a say in where they go. It's a bit sad to see this sort of collection being auctioned off after somebody has died. There's probably a similar stash of parts lying around somewhere.

The silver lining, though, is that some of the cars will go to people who can bring them back to their former glory, and not pay so much that they can't afford to restore them.

Cheers

Brian

Posted on: 2019/8/8 19:32
1941 120 Club Coupe (SOLD)
1956 Clipper Deluxe (RHD and auto) - for the wife, or so I told her!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
How much did the car go for?

Posted on: 2019/8/12 16:30
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved