Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
131 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 131

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Packard body numbers?
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I'm wondering on the Packard I.D. Plates with the (VIN) number. The first four digits are the body style and the last four are? With only 4 digits on the last part Packard would have run out of number combinations for as many cars as they produced in certain body styles. Does that mean there could be other cars that have the same last 4 digits as mine?

John

Posted on: 2019/10/15 12:17
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard body numbers?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The last 4 or 5 digits are the sequence number or when that particular body was built in the total number built of that model. In some years the starting number was 1001 but in most years I believe it was 2001. I never remember which year used which but Owen_Dyneto has posted the years and the number that was used for the start a few times if you want to search for it. The total number of cars built of a particular model in some years resulted in a 5 digit number. The same last digits could be used again but always with a different body style or series so the complete VN is never the same.

Posted on: 2019/10/15 12:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard body numbers?
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Okay so they did go to 5 number then, Both mine only have 44 digits after the body style numbers.

Posted on: 2019/10/15 16:03
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved