Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 156

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 22 23 24 (25) 26 27 28 ... 46 »

Re: Resurrecting a 1951 Henney-Packard Parts Car
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Did a bit more tedious cleaning of gear teeth but over all, they don't look bad. I also did a dry run of fitting pieces together and see that one of the little spring plungers for the syncro assembly has a tiny burr in the hole that will have to be removed in order to get the plunger to go in and move freely. I don't have a Dremel here but maybe my brother does so I'll check tomorrow.

On the pin bearings for the cluster gear, it turns out that the 48 good ones are .1243" diameter while those from the replacement transmission are .1246-.1247 and one never wants to mix sizes. Some of the larger ones are also bad so can't use them all as a set either. Mixing the a couple larger in with the smaller, the larger ones would take the load and it wouldn't rotate smoothly. Actually, it would probably not be noticeable but could stress the larger ones and cause breakage or maybe even keep them from rotating as they should.

Needed a break so I did a little more cleaning on the outside of the gas tank while it's still outdoors and doubt it will need any more sealer. It has had three applications already including the initial one done back in July when I was last here and may even be a little thicker than it should be so I will be surprised if it leaks at all! Some came out of the whistle this time so I don't know whether it still works or not.

I nearly forgot to mention the two small compression springs in the second photo. They were inside the original transmission but clearly do not belong to it! The more I think of it, I seem to recall that years (decades) ago it was sitting open in my old garage and I accidentally tipped over a box if miscellaneous bits and pieces so some apparently got inside.

EDIT: Ross is sending me a couple of the .1243" diameter pin bearings so it should be good to go when I'm here next but I'll have to buy or make the special tool for installing them. I've done without but not easy or recommended!

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_3090.jpg (282.58 KB)
60923_634f5c3c35429.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  IMG_3089.jpg (382.38 KB)
60923_634f5c6e9b84e.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2022/10/18 21:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
As an outline (mainly for my own reference) these are the sources of the various pieces for the main transmission body.

Main housing: Original
Input shaft: Replacement
Cluster gear: Replacement
Main gear assembly with adapter: Replacement
Syncro ring and gear: Original
Syncros themselves: Replacment
Syncro detent plungers and retainers: Replacement
Main shaft roller bearings: Original

Not sure yet:
Cluster gear thrust bearings
Cluster gear pin bearings

Posted on: 2022/10/18 21:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The NOS tailpipe has arrived! It's taken over a year but a way to get it here at a reasonable coast was finally found using the airline that I use when I come here. Good timing too as I'm leaving tomorrow afternoon.

Special thanks to Jackie Bruner at Max Merritt for her work, determination and persistence, not to mention her patience, on getting this done. It took a drive for her or someone on the staff to get it to the Indianapolis airport, then a two day wait on this end with it sitting in the freight department in Seattle but at last it departed today and arrived here not too long after.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_3108.jpg (209.92 KB)
60923_6351eeaf1f983.jpg 1440X1920 px

jpg  IMG_3113.jpg (632.09 KB)
60923_6351eef261def.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2022/10/20 20:03
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Looks nice. With what it must have cost let's hope it fits.

Posted on: 2022/10/20 20:46
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you, Howard. It cost only $175 to buy and in the end $110 and some change to ship. Not bad and sure beat the $3000 quote I had from one shipper!

Posted on: 2022/10/20 20:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Although not even on my radar to look for it, by chance I found the 2-way Motorola radio! This photo shows only the control head and speaker as the radio itself is huge so has taken some searching to figure out where it mounts.

I have still not located the Federal WLR siren and I realized that I also need the door spotlight with mirror which I believe is the same as that used on passenger cars. Does anyone have one that is NOT in pristine condition to better match this rough car?

Also, does the R11 OD solenoid have a flat gasket behind it in addition to the seal on the shaft? Does the governor have some kind of sealing ring such as a gasket or crush-washer?

UPDATE: I have located and purchased a Unity siren/mirror and NO, the overdrive solenoid does not use a gasket or even the adapter that the earlier R9 units had. Still looking for the Federal WLR siren but I did find and buy the special cast bronze base that it needs.

Attach file:

jpeg  03A9FA59-0E99-4BD0-BA80-252F304A7B61.jpeg (163.78 KB)
60923_6366d6447ce38.jpeg 1440X1080 px

Posted on: 2022/11/5 16:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Does anyone other than C2Fabrication make the steel front floor pans? I noticed when there recently that the driver’s side needs to be replaced.

Posted on: 2022/11/5 20:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
This Guide spotlight installed on a mostly-original car that is identical to mine and I am wondering whether or not it looks period-correct. To me it appears to be more '60s style rather than being the round Unity type that I expected so does anyone know of the commercial cars like this used the same type as the passenger cars or something else such as the one shown here?

In any event, I found and bought the standard Unity type with mirror so I hope it is correct!

Attach file:

jpeg  579F68C6-9775-4193-944C-3F77BFF6D4BA.jpeg (82.15 KB)
60923_636f046dce387.jpeg 1228X854 px

Posted on: 2022/11/11 21:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I ended up not buying the radio just yet as the one I posted isn’t quite right for this car. The radio head and speaker are very close but the microphone is later ‘50s.

In the meantime, I did find and buy the proper Federal WLR siren that I’ve been looking for. It’s not quite the condition I wanted which was somewhat rough but intact and instead is very nice but with some slight damage which is visible at the top seam where the two housings meet. The 6V sirens are hard to find in any condition but as I understand it, the WL model (without the rear light) is more common and uses the same front housing which is where the damage is so I'll look for one of those for parts and it doesn't matter if it's 6V or 12V.

The base on it is, of course, not for the Henney but I already have a proper one.

Attach file:

jpeg  D39D1AC2-E2AA-4BA0-AB9F-8B044ECB6D12.jpeg (184.21 KB)
60923_6395298e8bfc5.jpeg 1513X1100 px

Posted on: 2022/12/10 19:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

r1lark
See User information
Wow Don, that siren is quite an assembly -- how much does that thing weigh?

Posted on: 2022/12/11 6:35
Paul
www.studebakerskytop.com
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 22 23 24 (25) 26 27 28 ... 46 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved