Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
97 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 96

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

51 200 auto to manual swap
Just popping in
Just popping in

matt
See User information
How practical a swap would this be? How difficult would it be to locate a good manual trans, clutch pedal and linkage, crossmember and driveshaft if needed? One would think the trans itself would bolt right in, is anything other than a flywheel, clutch assembley etc needed? Is the provision for the pedal and linkage there in the auto cars? Anyone else done this swap?

Posted on: 2009/3/2 19:53
 Top  Print   

Re: 51 200 auto to manual swap
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Usually when someone asks this question it is because they are afraid something is wrong, or might go wrong, with their automatic. So they jump to the conclusion that it is easier to change to a standard. This is practically never the case.It is almost always easier and cheaper to fix the automatic.

It could be done but would be harder than fixing the automatic. Frankly I can't imagine this being a good idea. If you want a manual trans buy a car with manual trans and sell your automatic car. It would be better, easier and cheaper.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 20:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It's been done but you almost need a parts car.

In addition to the items you listed, there is bellhousing, steering column & shift linkage and all the multitude of little pieces that go with that. Different ratio for rear end although that may not be that important but drive shaft front U joint is different and maybe entire shaft. Clutch linkage or pedal support brackets likely not present but maybe parts of it are shared with brake support since you have manual brakes.

There will undoubtedly be something left off any list made so be prepared. Not really the best or easiest way to go.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 20:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I did this swap in a 1952 hardtop. I took everything including the complete rear-end from the donor car except the steering column and shift linkage. My cousin and I (mostly my cousin) cobbled up a floor shift from a cutdown 40 hearse column shift. It was an O/D tranny and worked well. I had to go back and pull the pilot bearing. I remember that it was the first ball-bearing pilot I had seen. All the others I had noticed were bushings. It was a LOT of labor. Without the proper rear-end I was having to shift going over speed bumps. Well, not quite, but you get the point. I think Rusty has the right idea.
I put a 54 fourbarrel manifold and carb on that car and then it dawned on me I had no ignition switch, so I connected the two wires to the original backup light switch. To start the car you turned on the ignition, threw the auto lever into reverse till it started and then flipped it back into PARK. You shifted gears on the floor. My wife took her test in that car and the State Trooper said he should have passed her just because she could start it.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 20:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
My uncles did this swap on their 53 Carib, it must have been in the late 70's or early 80's when I was old enough to notice that my grandfathers clipper had an auto trans with a burgundy steering column and my uncles carib had a manual trans and a blue steering column. There were (at least) 2 packards in the family at that time, so parts cars were no problem.
Given a source of parts, I can't imagine it would be too bad, besides: trans and bellhousing swap, cooling lines out, column swap, pedals, driveshaft. Rear axle.... just a few small pieces haha. Depends on your level of experience I guess.
Good luck,
Mike

Posted on: 2009/3/3 11:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
So what it boils down to is, the easy way to do this swap:

1) Buy another Packard with standard shift

2) Sell the one with the automatic.

There is no difference in price, all else being equal. So this is how to do the swap for no money and no work.

Posted on: 2009/3/3 15:59
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

matt
See User information
So typical standard swap with the addition of converting to a floor shift if one so chose. I've never heard of someone swapping in a stick because they thought their auto might break but that is an interesting view. Thanks to all who replied, Matt.

Posted on: 2009/3/4 21:46
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved