Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
195 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 193

kevinpackard, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

How and where to install speakers in a '56 Clipper?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Xavier Brulez
See User information
Hi guys,

I found a matching radio for the dash, but now I have a new obstacle... where to put the speakers?

I like to buy Infinity 6x9 3-way speakers and I want to install them at the rear shelf.
Had someone allready installed ( such type of ) speakers in a ( '55 - ) '56 Clipper?

My wish is not to violate the looks, so I don't want to cut holes and put ugly speakergrilles in sight.

My thaughts where to mount the speakers at the rear shelf and to cover the complete shelf with speakerfabric ??

What to do with the front speakers? Buy speakers in a cabinet and put them under the front seat???

Ideas and Help wanted please !!!

Greetz,

Xavier

Posted on: 2009/3/8 18:11
Resized Image PONTIAC FIREBIRD 3.1 V6 '91 + FIREBIRD Esprit 4.1 L6 '80 + CHEVROLET CAPRICE Wagon 5.0 V8 '87 [img]http://uniform.messageboard.nl/10060/images/smiles/fl
 Top  Print   

Re: How and where to install speakers in a '56 Clipper?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There are plenty of openings in the steel under the package shelf (see factory photo)https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/uploads/photos/138.jpg
but the spacing for screws may be tough.

Normally the speaker mounted under the 2 round holes on left side, so another on the right may require some kind of bracket. As to the covering, my 5697 has a perforated panel that is either hardboard or some type of thin composite. Can't swear as to whether it came that way, but the 5697 is the only one listed as using a separate panel number. Something like that might work by getting some thin perforated fibreboard and covering with a solid fabric to match your interior.

As to front, under the seat might be a good idea, but if you have power seats wonder if enough room on drivers side--or passenger either if you have underseat heater. Smaller speakers might fit in upper kickboard area above the stainless. Don't remember how high the inner cowl support opening goes but if adequate you could make new panels that were of the same perforated material as package shelf. In the vinyl section you could use an appropriate type cloth to match the original so speakers wouldn't be visible.

Anyway, my

Posted on: 2009/3/8 18:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I had a top-end aftermarket stereo installed in my 55 Pat about 8 years ago. It is essentially completely hidden.

1) Head unit is in the glove box -- that's pretty much a no brainer. A custom wooden box was used to hold it. It is the single CD/AM/FM type. Also, there is still enough room for "gloves" and paperwork.

2) 6x9 speakers mounted under the rear package tray as you suggested. My Pat had a rear window defogger which I removed and had the hole enlarged. A little cutting is required, but nothing serious. I had the entire tray covered with black acoustically transparent material. You can make out the oval forms if you look carefully enough, but not apparent to the casual observer.

3) Mid and tweeters were installed in custom made panels which replace the stock kick panels. They stick out a little more than stock and do not have the chrome strip but cannot be seen from outside the car. The material was a close color and weave match to the door panels, although it does not cover the speakers themselves. The tweeters are angled up towards the passengers. I saved the original kick panels to return to stock, if desired.

4) A subwoofer was installed directly behind the rear fold down armrest. With the armrest down, it's acoustically transparent.

5) On 55s you have to convert to neg ground, but I had already done that.

Rock on!

Craig

Posted on: 2009/3/8 18:56
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Xavier Brulez
See User information
@ HH56:

About the rear shelf, I was thinking that 'adjusting' the perforated holes in the metal would be the best solution. Removing the shelf panel and cutting the 6x9 shape will be necessary for a good sound flow, covering the shelf panel with speaker fabric will be the solution.

What's the trick to remove the back side of the rear seat? I suppose it have to be removed for having access to the shelf panel? How to remove the shelf panel?

The front speakers can be put under the front seat because I have the standard front bench without electrical or heating/ventilation systems. There is plenty of room under the seat... .

@ Craig:

item 2) will be the best solution I suppose.

My Clipper is a 56, so chassis is negative/ground

Thanks guys !!!

Grtz,

Xavier

Posted on: 2009/3/9 18:02
Resized Image PONTIAC FIREBIRD 3.1 V6 '91 + FIREBIRD Esprit 4.1 L6 '80 + CHEVROLET CAPRICE Wagon 5.0 V8 '87 [img]http://uniform.messageboard.nl/10060/images/smiles/fl
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The shelf panel is probably under the rear window molding and also held in a few places with some clips. It may or may not require the seat to come out. Look in the trunk where the panel is and you should see some little tabs in a few spots with a sort of hook on the ends. Those will have to come out with the panel but you may have to bend & adjust the tabs so it will be able to pull up thru the hole. If shelf is under the garnish molding, remove that first. After that, you may be able to lift from back and tilt shelf enough so seat doesn't have to come out.

If seat does have to move, then it comes out in 2 pieces. The bottom piece lifts up in the front a few inches to clear some clips and then slides forward & out. Push in at the bottom roughly midway on either side of the tunnel while lifting at the same time. Will be a bit snug (and also when reinstalling, maybe kind of a strain to push back far enough to seat the clips in properly). After bottom out, then in the lower corners of back will be either a bent over tab or a bolt thru a loop of wire. Once those are free, pull out a bit and then lift back up to disengage some clips near the top. After those clear, should be able to lift out. Much easier with 2 people by the way.

Posted on: 2009/3/9 18:41
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Xavier Brulez
See User information
Hi,

Thanks. I'll try to remove the shelf without dismantling the seat... .

I like the Infinity Kappa 693.7 speakers, does anyone knows this speaker? Pro or Cons? I will not install the ( ugly ) grills... .

Grtz,

Xavier

Posted on: 2009/3/10 18:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
The front speakers can be put under the front seat because I have the standard front bench without electrical or heating/ventilation systems. There is plenty of room under the seat.

<p>Speakers under the front seat <b>SUCK</b> acoustically.</P>
<p>Only subwoofers care not about direction. Everything else is important</p>

Craig

Posted on: 2009/3/10 20:48
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I agree with Craig on that. I used to do car stereo and alarm installation in a previous life, and the only time we put speakers under a seat was usually in a truck where they didn't have space anywhere else for the subwoofers. Subwoofers are omni-directional. So then don't care about which way they point. All the other speakers do.

You have a couple of options. The best place would be to mount them in the kick panel cavities, and then perforate the kick panel to make they less visible, or simple surface mount them on the kick panel using the supplied grilles.

The other option is to use a single dual voice-coil speaker (6x9 or 6/6.5) and mount that in the center dash location where the original one mounted. The dual voice-coil will give you both L & R signal out of one speaker. Not the best for imaging, but it looks real stealth. The other option for that center location is to get a couple of smaller speakers (4" or 3.5") and mount them on a thin piece of hardboard that is shaped to fit in the original speaker location.

I would reserver the under seat location for your amp rack.

Posted on: 2009/3/11 11:34
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
How would that dual coil work on a 55-6--speaker not centered on those cars but in front of passenger. Wouldn't think the balance could help much without messing up the back as well.

Posted on: 2009/3/11 12:00
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Xavier Brulez
See User information
Hmm,

I'll take a closer look at the kickpanels, maybe is that option the most acceptable not to dammage the looks of the car.
The dual coil speaker has to be mounted in a wooden box or so? It has to be located under the glovebox?
Those speakers aren't regular I suppose? I saw once an advertisement of these speakers at Classic Industries when I was searching for parts for my 1980 Firebird ( Still under resto construction by the way... ).

Xavier

Posted on: 2009/3/11 17:06
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved