Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 107

pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Power Antenna Switch Removal
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ken Hill
See User information
Anyone have an illustration of the power antenna switch showing how it is assembled/removed from the dash (I have a 56 Clipper)? The illustration in the Service Manual is not detailed enough. I'm able to remove the knob, but I can't figure out how to get to the hex nut.

Posted on: 2021/3/28 17:34
 Top  Print 

Re: Power Antenna Switch Removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You need the special tool. There may still be a repro of several tools made over the years available from one of the vendors or you can make your own using 1/4" hex stock or a coupling nut or hex standoff. Just make sure the flats are 1/4" apart. The center of the hex will need to be drilled slightly over 3/16" to accept the switch shaft. Once you have the tool and have removed the knob slide the tool over the shaft until it enters the hex on the bezel nut. You can either glue on a handle or use a small wrench to turn the hex approx 2 or so turns CCW to loosen the nut and remove the bezel.

Here is the tool I made using a standoff.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_2426.jpg (40.60 KB)
209_6061080ab9b38.jpg 1280X457 px

jpg  IMG_2427.jpg (41.67 KB)
209_60610816d96d4.jpg 968X547 px

Posted on: 2021/3/28 17:42
Howard
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A word of caution when replacing the switch in the dash. The nut is held in the bezel by a pressed in back piece -- sort of like a thin flat plate or washer. If you tighten the nut too hard when replacing the switch the back piece can be pushed out of the bezel by the nut. If that happens the bezel is useless because there seems to be no way to replace the back piece in the bezel and have it stay in tight enough to retain the nut in the bezel. The nut will still hold the switch in the dash but the bezel will be loose and rattling around.

Posted on: 2021/3/28 18:08
Howard
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
David Moe at Seatle Packard sells the correct tool. He bought up all the reproduction tool stock that Dan Yocum made after Dan passed away.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1951-56-Packard-dash-switch-removal-tool-/113929892815

Posted on: 2021/3/29 9:14
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Good to know who has the tools and they are still readily available. I believe Troy in Michigan also had some repros made before he closed his shop. No idea who might have bought his inventory.

One quibble on the ebay listing. There is a typo or outright error on applicable years. The hex shaped tools only work for 55-6 models. 51-4 need a different tool that engages small slots in the bezels located on either side of the shaft.

As I recall Packard Newbie made one of the tools for bezels with slots and posted a photo. The prewar headlight switch bezels use something similar but no idea if the prewar tool will fit the postwar bezel slots.

Posted on: 2021/3/29 9:43
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Have a lathe. Get some 1/4 hex and drill a hole

1/4 nut driver done

Attach file:

jpg  20210307_171858.jpg (374.99 KB)
4498_606209dc0e936.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2021/3/29 12:09
Riki
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved