Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
161 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 159

Ross, dallas, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 55 Patrician
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Clyde -

Those are just some areas I noticed, from when I first discovered these cars decades ago, that were prone to rust in the 55-56s that spent most of their days in the snow belt. Several of them are hidden, but not pleasant, surprises for the uninformed buyer if they don't know where to look.

These days, you find same areas rusted out on cars left in field where it never snows, but with wet climates. Similar areas are prone on 51-54s. Of course, no manufacturer designed and built their cars with the expectation the people would still be driving them 50+ years later.

Yet, even my Caribbean Hardtop, which spent over 25 years in AZ and was then garage kept for the last 20 years in PA, has a pinhole in one rocker and he usual rust starting (from the inside out) at the bottom of one of the front fenders.

Now, every car has their own set of rust-prone areas, but a lot of Packards were crushed due to rust and lack of ready-made repair panels for the orphan brands.

Fortunately, many such panels are now available for these cars today - though I cannot (yet) personally vouch for their quality.

Posted on: 2009/3/12 9:46
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Clyde
See User information
I went to check out the car yesterday. The outside body does not have one ding. The chrome is not rusty. Windshield and back glass is good. Needs some flat glass replaced. It has set a few years and still has the original faded paint. The interior could use some work and the floor boards in front need replacing. The car is not setting level. Seller says motor will turn over and with tune up it should run. He is asking $1250 OBO. I think a savy Packard person could restore this car. It even has a windshield wiper on the back windshield. Was the trim chrome or stainless steel on this model? This must have been a beautiful car in its day.

Posted on: 2009/3/15 17:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Sounds like a nice project. Hope you decided to get it.

With exception of door handles, WS wiper bases & side emblems, everything that level & above is stainless.
Most of the long side trim is stainless with some exceptions: The pieces on each front fender above the ribbed "reynolds wrap" that become part of the grill are chromed pot metal as are the small pieces front of tire well to grill. The hood ornament and louvers at each side on rear door with courtesy lamps are pot metal. Essentially the entire grill and about anything on back end are pot metal or steel.

Inside the car with a couple of exceptions, it's pot metal. Believe I got them all but am sure someone will correct if not.

Posted on: 2009/3/15 18:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Howard -

The only plated, die-cast parts I can add, after reviewing your extensive list, would be:

P-A-C-K-A-R-D hood letters

Gold-plated vees on the plastic side roof (crest) emblems

Squarish side trim pieces on C-pillar (that complete the line crated by the stainless moldings at the top and belt of the doors)

Last but not least, the curved pot metal pieces that make the transition from the stainless rocker molding, to the straight, stainless fender skirt molding, and then to the stainless rear gravel shield.

However, interior molding spears are usually stainless. Wheel covers are also stainless, but with a flash coast of chrome, I believe.

Clyde -

I can't recall if the rear window wiper was shown in the accessory catalog or parts book, but since it fit models from previous Series that used the same backlight, I'm not surprised that it was installed on this car.

I agree - sounds like a good project car.

Posted on: 2009/3/15 20:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Hello Clyde,

Sounds like an excellent rolling restoration vehicle. The price was excellent for our area. If you feel comfortable taking on this project, I say jump on it.

Hope all is well.

Posted on: 2009/3/15 22:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
clyde,

I found this car in your area for sale. It looks pretty good from the pictures. The price is pretty good from how the pictures look as well. He is asking $3500.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/1093696818.html

Attach file:

jpg  (10.05 KB)
633_49ced02c8fa1e.jpg 300X225 px

jpg  (9.49 KB)
633_49ced0348e13c.jpg 300X225 px

Posted on: 2009/3/28 20:34
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved