Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
246 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 244

TxGoat, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Door handle clips
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
These retainers were revised, twice, due to reports of inside handles falling off. See the site's Service Index and follow the links to the articles for details.

If all else fails, you might look for some used handles - regardless of cosmetic appearance - that have the revised clips, carefully pry them out and install them in your handles - provided those handles are not excessively worn or otherwise damaged.

Posted on: 2009/3/12 18:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Brian: Just saw your entry. Gonna quit while ahead since am batting 0 today but any idea what the second type looks like. As mentioned on a post just deleted, I have some of the kind with the opening like the third type but can't tell from the picts if those have a little tang opposite the smooth side that goes into door shaft slot. The ones on my car and some spare 56's do not so maybe second??

Morgan, Max Merritt says he has 55 & 56 but at $10 ea a bit pricey--doesn't say which versions though.

Posted on: 2009/3/12 18:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Howard -

Sorry, all I know is from the Counselors - none of the handles ever fell off in my cars.

While I had recollection of the change in retainers, I would not have known that there were two changes if I hadn't seen the two separate articles listed, one rigth after the other, in the Service Index.

Perhaps the images shown in the second article (from '56) will inspire someone who has the actual parts to give us some better pix.

Posted on: 2009/3/12 19:00
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved