Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
204 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 203

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Starter Question...
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Joshua Martin
See User information
My starter is still having problems, it continues to spin once engaged. Only once since has it stopped and then continued. I ran into a packard enthusiast just recently at a car show, who had mentioned he had the same problem with his 52 and it had to do with a small ball in the carb. I believe, for the starter switch, anyone got any ideas? I've already cancelled out, the ignition switch, and the wiring (thanks packardinfo.com for diagrams), the starter has been tested twice by two different locations. And at worst, is there any alternatives to running a seperate switch? Thanks you guys, any info helps

Posted on: 2009/3/19 16:19
 Top  Print   

Re: Starter Question...
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Very possible. If the switch is dirty or assembled incorrectly that can be a problem. Here is a section from an aftermarket manual for 49-56 cars that gives a fairly good description of operation, repair and a little better pictures than the Packard manual. The switches are similar in operation over the years but may have a bit different packaging on various carbs. Pay attention to the shims and orientation of contact assy.

EDIT: the switch diagrams are same but yellow one is done at high res so it might enlarge or print better.

Attach file:

pdf Size: 293.58 KB; Hits: 58

Posted on: 2009/3/19 16:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Gerd, thats an even better picture than manual or aftermarket book. If the switch is dirty so the ball can't get sucked up when engine starts or spring can't return plunger then symptoms could be as night_owl is having. Packard used this type starter postwar thru 53--maybe some prewar too.

Posted on: 2009/3/19 17:19
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Joshua Martin
See User information
what would be the best thing to do, swap it out? or run alternative switch? Is it common for this to happen continuously?

Posted on: 2009/3/19 17:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
If you want to keep things original, the switch should work fine. Needs to be clean, no vacuum leaks at the carb, and you will have a car that nobody knows how to start (unless they are a packard owner) My car had this trouble 10 years ago. As a temporary fix I ran a toggle switch inline with the carb switch. 'Armed' the starter circuit with the toggle switch and then used the gas pedal to actuate the starter switch and starter. Shortly after this, (When I got the car home from buying it) I ran a new wire from the ignition switch to a push button in the dash (Moroso race car type starter switch I got at a local speed shop) and then to the starter solenoid. This setup was easy to do (There are so few wires in these cars) and dead reliable. Ok, not authentic or as unusual/interesting as having the ignition actuated by the gas pedal, but works for me.
Hope that helps you make your decision.
-Tobs

Posted on: 2009/3/19 17:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't believe it's that common a problem but if not serviced for 50 years a cleaning wouldn't hurt and not that hard. Just pay attention to the small details. Not sure how available a new one would be as I didn't see anything on a couple of vendor sites.

Others have used an alternative Ford type push button to bypass the original, and if mounted so as to be hidden under the dash might be an option--although until you totally confirm the carb switch is the problem maybe a temporary toggle switch instead to just break the starter circuit could be installed.

Don't remember what year you have but on 51-3, the starter switch is fed by a separate Yellow-Red wire from the GA terminal on ignition switch which could be interrupted by the toggle switch.

Posted on: 2009/3/19 17:58
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved