Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
174 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 170

humanpotatohybrid, Tobs, Ozstatman, Packardbarry, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Fuel Pump Pressure??
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Get a small amount of air pressure on the fuel line and look for leaks. Best to disconnect the line from the gas tank and plug it both ends before applying pressure. Say about 3 to 5 psi. Be careful that the line does not break out of the tank if it is rusty.

Posted on: 2009/3/20 21:03
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
That's certainly one way to test a fuel line. My own preference is, instead of using pressure, to use vacuum. I disconnect the fuel line at the tank and at the pump. Attach a vacuum gauge at one end and a vacuum pump with a valve at the other. Pump to pull a vacuum of 15 or so inches of Hg, and valve or otherwise close the end, and check the residual vacuum the next morning. If you held the vacuum overnight you can have high confidence the line is tight.

Posted on: 2009/3/20 22:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
Everyone's suggestions have been quite good, especially those to help you diagnose the problem.
Has the car sat for a long time? could the gas have gone bad? What I'm getting around to is to say I'd be suspect of the fuel pump. I've had a couple of cars in my shop that the valves in the pump have become sticky due to bad gas. They either stick closed or simply stick some of the time. The old diaphragms start to leak and will loose vacuum ability with little damage evidenced to the eye. With the new fuels, this problem is more common.

So, if you check the line and it is OK, my bet is on the pump.
Good luck.

Posted on: 2009/3/20 23:04
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Take an old inner tube and cut out the valve with a circle of rubber about 6" diameter. Clamp this on your gas filler neck with a hose clamp. Now you can pressurize your gas tank. Not too much, 3 to 5 pounds is plenty. If the rubber bulges up you have pressure.

This should show up any leaks. It will also allow driving a car with no fuel pump.

Posted on: 2009/3/21 9:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Quote:

Rusty O\'Toole wrote:
Take an old inner tube and cut out the valve with a circle of rubber about 6" diameter. Clamp this on your gas filler neck with a hose clamp. Now you can pressurize your gas tank. Not too much, 3 to 5 pounds is plenty. If the rubber bulges up you have pressure.

This should show up any leaks. It will also allow driving a car with no fuel pump.

Husband to Wife: "Honey, we got a big ol' hill coming up, so get the tire pump and get ready!"

Posted on: 2009/3/21 10:41
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Ha ha ha Well it's better than making her push ha ha ha.

Posted on: 2009/3/21 12:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
Has the car sat for a long time? could the gas have gone bad?

No, I was driving the car every day. It only sat maybe 3 weeks. I have always had problems starting it after it has sat for a few weeks. I figured that the gas had evaporated out of the carb. Usually after cranking for a wile and a few pumps of the gas peddle it would start. Later on I had to use starting fluid. That would work but it would die as soon as the starting fluid was used up. The more I think about it the problem seems to be that the pump just won't pick up the gas when everything has dried out.

Not home right now. Will check the fuel line for leaks maybe next week. BTW the vacuum leak down test seems to be a good way to check it. I have a couple od vacuum gauges that read up to 50 inches of water.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2009/3/21 13:08
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved