Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 223

jgrohn, Jim in Boone, John Iaccino, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Window Stuck
Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Greetings
I rolled down my driver window on the way home from work and parked my car in the garage.
This morning the driver's window on my 41 Clipper would not roll up. It cranked up only 4 inches and then stops. I didn't want to force it with the crank handle. It has always rolled up a bit stiff in the past, but never stuck like this.

I took the window frame and upholstery off to find at the problem. I then removed the crank mechanism (30.386 Regulator assembly) and it works fine. The window glass is in place in the tracks but will not pull up over that same 4".

I didn't have time to go further into it. Suppose I will need to remove the arm and pivot assembly to pull out the glass from the door. That's for another day. Any other ideas????

Anybody with more experience out there that can keep me from getting "TOO CRANKY" over a stuck window?

I will try to upload the drawing from the Parts list book
DanL

Posted on: 2009/3/20 23:35
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Re: Window Stuck
Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
second try for drawing..

Posted on: 2009/3/20 23:36
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If I understand correctly it is all the way down and won't go up more than 4" then I would check the lower glass mount (30.382) and see if lip is catching or hitting the flat support bar (horizontal item between 30.3863 & 30.3975). Something may have come loose allowing that bar to move or it may have flexed inward since it doesn't appear too rigid (on 47). Looking at the 47 there is about 1/8 clearance when they pass. Otherwise unless one of the rivets or clips that hold the felt runner to the mounts and supports has come loose and blocked the channel don't see anything to catch.

Attach file:

jpg  (19.75 KB)
209_49c4fca361e48.jpg 386X534 px

Posted on: 2009/3/21 9:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
HH56,
Yes, you understand the problem. Thanks for your post and the picture. (I couldn't capture a digital image from the Parts Book).

I think you are right about the 'catch point' as the window is raised. As the window is raised it catches when the regulator pieces cross each other. (The 'X' flattens out there are 3 or 4 parts passing over each other. It is hard to see in there (it's above the access opening), but I don't think there is even an 1/8" clearance.

I do not have time to fix this now. In addition, I think I may go ahead and order a new glass. Most of the side window glass has de-laminated on the edges. There was been a 2" crack in the bottom of this glass, when I bought the car. It goes across the front corner from the channel (bottom) to the front edge. [I wonder if this window has been 'binding' for years?]

I will keep you posted, but it may be several weeks or more before I can get into it further, especially if I order glass. i will post some pictures later also.

Thanks again. It is great to have a 'Saturday mechanic' opinion. (even if 1800 miles away.)
DanL

Posted on: 2009/3/21 10:35
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Window Un-Stuck!

Today I figured out the stuck driver window problem on my 41 Clipper.

The window glass had a crack in the front-bottom corner when I bought the car 18 months ago. The window operated up and down until 4 weeks ago, when it would come only half way back up. Glass replacement has not made it to the top of my repair list until today. (See photo below). I now have the window back up and have ordered a new replacement glass.

MYSTERY EXPLANATION: The crack has worked its way through both sides of the lamanet glass. The strain of cranking up the window, wedges the broken triangular corner of the glass into the window track and felt glide. I could see the broken corner piece move (1/32") far enough to catch the head of a rivet (or something) in the metal part of the window glide channel. This was stopping the window's upward movement. It always stopped in the same place. I could see the top of the crack would stop even with a rivet head.
The triangular piece in the corner was the problem. It may have been 'digging' deeper into the channel for a long time until it dug into the metal track (rivet) and stuck.

I can examine it further when I get the new glass and take out the old window. At least now, I can drive with the window closed.

DanL

Attach file:

jpg  (43.33 KB)
464_49e922fabd356.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2009/4/17 19:46
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
Quote:
(I couldn't capture a digital image from the Parts Book)

Have you ever tried 'print screen' ? On windows, there is a key on your keyboard called 'print screen'. You may need to press 'shift' or 'alt' while pressing it, but it basically puts a copy of your screen image into the clipboard. Now open powerpoint, paint, word, or excel and hit 'paste'. This puts the clipboard image into a file. Sometimes you need to have powerpoint, paint, word, or excel open first, then go take the screen shot and go back to paste.

For mac, hit cmd - shift - 3, and a file is placed on the desktop called "picture 1".

Either way, you can now save the image and use PackardInfo's upload file button to get the image to this most excellent website.

Posted on: 2009/4/17 20:33
-Carl | [url=https://packardinfo.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Also for the mac, you can hit cmd-shift-4, and then select the area of the screen you want captured by clicking and dragging over the area with the mouse. You can also use also use cmd-control-shift-4 to select a screen area and copy it to the clipboard. It even works for menus. Drop down the menu, cmd-shift-4, select the area and a picture is taken.

Very handy for writing computer manuals, documentation of features, etc.

Attach file:

jpg  (51.53 KB)
333_49e9eeac2fd25.jpg 834X474 px

Posted on: 2009/4/18 10:16
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Been a while since I messed with windows on this part so this is probably a Kev question.

Doesn't the print screen capture as a bitmap (.bmp)--entire screen --no options for smaller area--and huge file size as I recall. If it does, then one of the pasting programs has to reduce size and convert to jpeg to view in the forum or one of the other allowable files to have it post for downloading.

Posted on: 2009/4/18 10:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information

On a mac, the image is captured as a .png by default. The file type for screen captures can changed, most easily using a program like Onyx.

Using the cmd-shift 3 captures the entire screen. The method above can capture whatever part of the screen you select.

Posted on: 2009/4/18 10:54
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
They are talking about a Mac. I believe you are correct as far as the Microsoft screen capture works (at least with XP).

I use the Windows screen capture and then an old Photoshop Lite program to modify it.

Posted on: 2009/4/18 10:57
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved