Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
93 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 93

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

A series of dumb questions about my
Home away from home
Home away from home

1929PackardGuy
See User information
Okay, the car has finally arrived and I've spent the last two days just doing the early stages of sorting it out. It obviously hasn't been driven much in a few years, kind of a museum car kinda' thing. I've put about 30 miles on it, had to replace a fuel regulator (has an electric pump on it) because it started puking gas everywhere! Got the timing and coolant figured out so she's staying between 180 and 190 even with our 90+ degree weather.

Okay, dumb questions. Hard to start her cold, tends to flood and then start. Once warm, starts super easy. How do you check the oil in this thing? And dumb question biggie, how do you lock the doors? Passenger's front door is only one with a lock on it, so how does one lock the others? It's a 633 '29 Club Sedan, was tickled, got two trunks with it!

Attach file:

jpg  20210919_160457.jpg (288.11 KB)
224949_614906910d505.jpg 1920X1585 px

Posted on: 2021/9/20 17:09
 Top  Print 

Re: A series of dumb questions about my
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I can't answer most of your questions for a Packard this old but I can say that due to regulations requiring the driver and passengers to enter and exit at the curb, all cars had only a passenger side lock.

Posted on: 2021/9/20 17:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
My mid 30's packards work as following: the door locks if you pull or push the door handle the opposite way of opening the door from the inside. The passenger door is last and you use the key to open that door and manually open the others from inside.

Posted on: 2021/9/20 18:27
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wogec
See User information
On the model 645, the oil gauge is on the drivers side inside the engine compartment. Look down at the mud shield pan fastened to the bottom of the crankcase right behind the downdraft tube and oil filler. You should see a round gauge with demarcations for oil volume.

The door locks are exactly as described. There is a keyed lock on the front passenger side. All other locks are engaged by pushing forward on the door latch (as opposed to unlatching the door by pulling the vertical knob toward the rear of the car). It should click forward and lock the door.

I can't advise you on why it is loading up, but one expert tells me that once you get the double spring mechanism inside that little cone on the carburetor set, you can pretty much forget about it, but the settings on those springs are very precise. I only started mine once so far and I know my settings are off, so I'm of no help on that matter.

Posted on: 2021/9/20 19:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

1929PackardGuy
See User information
Thanks a million. That does seem to work. I saw the gauge next to the engine, wasn't sure if that was the only way or how accurate it would be. Thanks guys!

Posted on: 2021/9/20 20:01
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved