Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
163 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 163

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Exhaust Manifold
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
1950 Packard Super Eight 327 engine. I've been trying to find an exhaust leak. By using a small mirror I have found a brass fitting on the under side of the exhaust manifold way up by the fire wall. This fitting is open. Does anyone know what was attached to it, and what it is for? I can't get a camera in there to take a picture, sorry.

Thanks Dave

Posted on: 2021/11/16 14:26
 Top  Print 

Re: Exhaust Manifold
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Cant imagine what that would be on the exhaust manifold. Intake perhaps, but not exhaust.

Posted on: 2021/11/16 15:08
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
On my 1953 I didn't see anything like that, though there could have been an undrilled boss.

What there is up near the firewall is the chamber for the thermal sensor for the carburetor. That doesn't have a fitting, it's just a metal tube that goes into an open air chamber (isolated from the exhaust and inlet passages per se) and it's on the top side, but near the firewall.

Posted on: 2021/11/16 15:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
I believe what you might have found was the end of the tube that supplies heated air to the choke. If there are exhaust gases leaking out the tube is rusted out. This will allow exhaust product into the choke that will destroy it.

Posted on: 2021/11/16 20:18

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
Thank you for your thoughts. The carb choke is currently getting heat from the top of the exhaust manifold, a little forward of midway towards the front of the car. I'm just going to plug this open port. That should do it.

Thanks again
Dave

Posted on: 2021/11/17 22:11
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved