Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 143

Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Robert Turnquist , rest in peace
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Gentlemen, the Packard world lost a central figure in the appreciation of the Packard marque with the death of Robert Turnquist yesterday. Bob started collecting Packards while the East grand Boulevard factory was still operating. His book on Packard is one of two early, significant works on Packard, te other being Nat Dawes' post-war book.
Bob owned Hibernia Auto Restoration, a fine shop, and was very active in the Classic Car Club.
My sympathies to Sunny and family.

Posted on: 2009/4/5 18:38
 Top  Print   

Re: Robert Turnquist , rest in peace
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I recall reading an article by Mr. Turnquist in an early 1970's edition of a classic car magazine in which he describes how he bought his first 1930's something Twelve Packard in the 1940's and how when he drove it to an AACA Meets he was told it was too new and had to be kept in the tow vehicle area! He certainly saw and lived a lot of Packard and classic car history in his time and we are fortunate that he was able to express it so well on paper. He will be sorely missed. We have lost another iconic figure.

Posted on: 2009/4/5 19:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It might be nice if we could keep this and the earlier thread I started yesterday on Bob Turnquist together as one. Kev - can you do that?

Posted on: 2009/4/5 19:48
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Agreed...and done.

Posted on: 2009/4/5 22:23
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Re: Bob Turnquist
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

todd jordan rayner
See User information
I spoke with bob about a week before he went to hospital for near an hour discussing packards, mostly I just listened. I feel honored to have been able to learn everything i did in that short hour.

Posted on: 2009/4/6 1:20
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Russell James
See User information
This news is sad, it is a bit like losing a companion (which may seem a bit strange, but I'll explain...)

You see, my first glimpse of some of the magnificant range of Packards produced came from pouring over Robert Turnquist's The Packard Story as a teenager in the late 60's. His maroon and white Convertible Sedan by Dietrich (1 of 3 built) is still etched in my memory. I still have the original copy of the book that would be pulled out on many a rainy day to absorb it's contents and dream of seeing some of these cars.

Some of the cars we never saw in Australia, like the custom bodies and thanks to Robert, and his book, we did get a much richer knowledge and appreciation of the Packard marque.

Thanks Dave (Owen_Dyneto) for the news that the records collected over many years will be placed well.

A time of sadness, yes and of appreciation to the contribution he made in the lives of many of us around the globe.

RIP Sir

Posted on: 2009/4/6 7:18
Russ (the prodigal son)
56 400 (sold 2022)
39 1702 7 pass touring (long term project)
38 1602 7 pass limousine (needs work)

Learnt to drive on a 50 in 1969
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Owen, sorry for the double post on Bob, I didn't see one, so I jumped in. Bob was our across-the-row neighbor at Hershey, and someone I saw a couple of times a year for many years.

Posted on: 2009/4/6 10:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Received this just a few minutes ago. I was fortunate to be a member of the same local CCCA region as Bob and see and chat with him several times a year.
----------------------------------------------

Robert E. Turnquist
1926 - 2009

Robert Eric Turnquist of Morris Twp, NJ died at Morristown Memorial Hospital on April 4, 2009 at the age of 82. Born in Brooklyn, NY, he has been a long-time resident of Morris Twp and is survived by his wife of 55 years, Sunny. Robert was President and owner of Hibernia Auto Restorations, Inc., a restoration facility restoring steam, electric and gas vehicles. He was instrumental in founding the Classic Car Club of America in 1952 and served as its President for 6 years. Packard was his choice to collect, restore and show at various events such as Pebble Beach, Meadowbrook, etc. He is the foremost authority on Packard cars and wrote his book "The Packard Story" and published many articles in various publications. His hobbies included collecting model cars, Packard literature, automotive and western art and rare trees from all over the world. Robert is a life member of the Antique Auto Club of America, the Classic Car Club of America and serves on the advisory Board of America's Packard Museum in Dayton, Ohio where he was given the Robert & Sonia Turnquist Packard Library. He and his wife were instrumental in funding the building of a replica Shell Station at the Gilmore Museum in Hickory Corners, Michigan and also donated the Robert & Sonia Turnquist Photo Gallery. Robert participated in the writing of the N. J. Historic License Plate law for the DMV in 1963 which was unanimously passed by the Assembly. He received the prestigious Newkirk Award for community service from the Morris Museum of Arts Sciences in Morristown, N.J. where he served as a Trustee. Graduate of Rutgers University in 1950 with a Bachelor of Science degree, Robert served with the 11th Air Force, 404th Bomb Squadron in the Aleutians from 1945 to 1946. A Funeral Service will be held at 3:00 p.m. on Tuesday, April 7, 2009, at Bradley-Braviak Funeral Home, 49 Whippany Rd., Whippany. Friends may visit at the funeral home prior to the service from 12:00 pm until 3:00 pm. Interment will be private.

Posted on: 2009/4/6 11:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Do you know who authored that?

Posted on: 2009/4/6 13:54
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Do you know who authored that?

Sorry West, I don't. It was distributed by email to a list of hundreds including myself by a Director of The Packard Club who is also active in Eastern Packard Club and the CCCA. I believe Bob's obit was in the Newark (NJ) Star-Ledger yesterday, just guessing but that may have been the origin. I'll inquire for you though.

EDIT - West, what I posted appears to be from the Star Ledger of Newark's obit of yesterday.

Posted on: 2009/4/6 14:02
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved