Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Technical Data for 1935 "Radio Control Head"
Just popping in
Just popping in

ChipCity
See User information
So I have a customer who is looking to restore a 1935 Packard "radio control head" and I need some technical information regarding the materials used for the translucent plastic radio dial inside the housing. It looks like some sort of laminate to me. Do any of you know what they used or have access to technical documents or at least be able to point me in the right direction?

Any help is much appreciated!

Attach file:

jpeg  radio_dial.jpeg (144.16 KB)
225457_62212e7bc868b.jpeg 2016X1512 px

Posted on: 2022/3/3 16:10
-ChipCity
 Top  Print 

Re: Technical Data for 1935 "Radio Control Head"
Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
You might try contact La Vines-they took over Yesterday Radio-might be able to help

Posted on: 2022/3/3 17:12
 Top  Print 

Re: Technical Data for 1935 "Radio Control Head"
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

packard1949 wrote:
You might try contact La Vines-they took over Yesterday Radio-might be able to help

Excellent suggestion.https://classiccarreproductions.com

Plastics of that era were not all that plentiful as far as types and some were not very stable. Just think of the prewar plastic dashes and how they stood up over time. Something made from modern plastics would be much better. As to what might have been used, Bakelite was the most common at that time. It was relatively stable, easy to mold and might be what that is although I am not sure how translucent Bakelite is. Almost all of the telephones and instead of formal classic wood cases, some "modern" art deco home radio enclosures coming into use at the time were molded from Bakelite.

I believe Packard also started using a material called Tenite in the mid to late 30s. That was a cellulose based material and might have been what the prewar dashes were made from. There is a Tenite ad showing Packard glossy light colored deluxe steering wheels and said they were made from it.

Posted on: 2022/3/3 21:42
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved