Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
192 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 192

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

39 Packard OD solenoid
Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Quick question, lots of work on preservation and something new? IF I push the gas pedal all the way down while setting the choke, I now hear the OD solenoid click. Don’t recall this in past and wondering if I have the two coil windings reversed. Suggestions or is this correct?

Posted on: 2022/3/18 19:51
 Top  Print   

Re: 39 Packard OD solenoid
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
On the R6 overdrives used in 39 the overdrive solenoid activates to kick the overdrive down as as opposed to all the later units where the solenoid was used for the upshift. Therefore if you floor the throttle with the engine off you will hear it vainly trying to kickdown the trans. No harm done. You just really don't need to open the throttle that far to set the choke.

Posted on: 2022/3/19 8:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
The solenoid is not faint, quite loud, do wondering if I have the holding solenoid and engage solenoids reversed. Just don’t recall it being that loud before. Thanks for the response.
I suppose it could just be after rebuilding the entire front end and engine, may just have the adjustment to close. I don’t like the way the throttle kick down pawl hits the switch, at quite an angle, not flat, and don’t see how to change that angle

Posted on: 2022/3/19 10:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Just to be sure we are speaking of the same thing--how many terminals are on your solenoid?

Posted on: 2022/3/19 21:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Just for grins here are the solenoids for comparison. The 39 only R6 is short with flat bottom and two terminals, The 40- mid 48 R9 is long with a bump on the bottom and has 4 terminals, the mid 48 and later R11 stayed long but went back to two terminals. I don't know if they will all physically mount to a different year OD but if so, they will not work because plunger length and operation is different.

Attach file:

jpg  R6.jpg (16.04 KB)
209_623697ee4b95f.jpg 278X324 px

jpg  R9-R11 .jpg (17.73 KB)
209_62369809959e1.jpg 330X294 px

Posted on: 2022/3/19 21:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
On the OD solenoid mounted on the left side of the OD, there are two terminals, one with a heavier wire and one lighter.

Per the Packard Training Program manual for the OD, there are two windings, the lighter one is the "Hold-In" coil and the heavier winding is the "Pull-In" coil.

This to me indicates that the "Hold-In" coil is the coil that the kickdown switch disables?
If that is correct, how does the "Pull-In" coil get energized?
I don't see a governor switch anywhere

Thanks
John

Posted on: 2022/3/19 21:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
I concur, mine has a flat bottom and two terminals. The third "terminal" is the chassis/OD

Which manual are you looking at?

Posted on: 2022/3/19 22:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
R6 had a centrifugal governor built into the OD which mechanically engaged at speed. Here are electrical diagrams for the R6. Note the mid year addition of a reverse operated switch. As I understand it, the reverse switch was in parallel with the kickdown sw and also energized the solenoid to force it out of OD when reverse gear was selected.

Attach file:

jpg  R6OD.jpg (221.72 KB)
209_62369a1f66823.jpg 1225X1870 px

Posted on: 2022/3/19 22:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Thanks Howard, that is also in the Packard Shop Manual on page 25.

Numerous schematics, depending on type o of OD and model are in the OD service manual

I can't ID which is the "SW" and which is the "IGN" terminal while on teh OD. Was hoping I did not have to pull it off. Can't really see it from under the car

Posted on: 2022/3/19 22:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I would bet the heavy wire is the solenoid and the light wire is the ign but if you can't see the terminal IDs could you orient them by referencing to the screw on the end cover and feel straight across or could you fit a mirror up near the solenoid.

Posted on: 2022/3/19 22:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved