Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 217

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: The optional 327
Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
Since we are on the subject, would the '53 Caribbean be considered a junior because of the 5 main bearing 327 and 250 chassis ?

Posted on: 2009/4/9 11:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A good question, there isn't always an absolute delineation between juniors and seniors. Despite a junior chassis and engine, the fact that it's limited production and highly modified coachwork by an outside firm just overwhelms any other consideration - I don't think anyone could make a reasonable arguement against it being a senior, and in fact I don't think I've ever heard it even argued, period.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 11:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Owen thank you for the clarification. I was going by a 1952 or 1953 road test in which the author complimented Packard on their policy of building what the customer wanted, including offering the big engine in the small models, and a choice of transmissions in all models even the most expensive.

I was not aware that this was not the case in 1955 and 56.

I also recall contemporary reports of Packards that competed in the Carrera Panamericana. My recollection was that these were the small model, 200 or Clipper, with the big engine. These were privately owned cars, not factory sponsored. My impression was that Packard would build such a car to order.

By the mid 50s it was common for car makers to offer a choice of engines on an optional at extra cost basis. I think this is what Packard did, but a few years before the competition.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 11:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
By the mid 50s it was common for car makers to offer a choice of engines on an optional at extra cost basis. I think this is what Packard did, but a few years before the competition.

As far as I know, that short interval of 1951/52 and perhaps 1953 offering the "300" engine in a 200 was the only time in their entire history that Packard did that.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 14:11
 Top  Print   

Anonymous
wrong - owen - in the summer of '53 my dad took me with him to pick up his new '53 Clipper DeLuxe. I distinctly recall a Pat. in for its new-car service that had manual trans.

This was at Packard La Brea, just south of Wilshire Blvd. in Los Angeles. At least I think you are wrong; I know that particular dealer did not do "conversions".

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Peter, I believe you are wrong in saying I'm wrong. I don't recall saying that a 53 Patrician couldn't have standard transmission, it could. But not a 54, that would almost certainly have been a dealer conversion.

Posted on: 2009/4/11 13:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike T
See User information
I was told buy a lifelong Packard owner (he is still driving the same 250 convertible that he brought new in '51) that if you bought a '51 200 it came standard with the 288 and manual trans. If you wanted the Ultramatic, it only came with the 327 5 main bearing. He even showed me the casting on the head that reads 327 AT (automatic transmission). I don't know how much of that is true, but that's my two cents worth.

Posted on: 2009/4/11 20:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The 288 with Ultramatic was a bread-and-butter combi for Packard 50-54.

Posted on: 2009/4/11 22:13
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved