Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
131 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 131

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

56 Ignition cylinder removal
Just popping in
Just popping in

noob
See User information
How oh how do I get the ignition cylinder (the chrome faced cylinder into which the key gets inserted) out of the ignition switch assembly? Discussions of this that I have seen involve inserting a paper clip into a hole in the front face of the ignition cylinder, but alas mine has no hole.

I have to get this darn thing out of my dead ignition switch before I can insert it into a functioning one.

Any help much appreciated.

Posted on: 2022/5/3 17:47
 Top  Print   

Re: 56 Ignition cylinder removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The hole is on the side of the switch. You need to insert the key and turn the cylinder right to the ON position so the release clip is lined up with the hole. Use a paper clip or a pin punch to insert into the hole and push the clip against some springs to release the clip from a slot in the casting. When the clip is pushed in use the key to manipulate and pull the cylinder out of the switch. You may need to fuss around a bit with the punch and cylinder to get everything released and lined up so the cylinder will slide out.

If the key is not available a new hole about the same size as the original needs to be CAREFULLY drilled so it will be opposite the clip when the cylinder is in the OFF position. Use care the drill does not go in deep enough that the retaining clip is damaged.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_2081.jpeg (46.33 KB)
209_6271c3600713a.jpeg 731X615 px

jpg  55-6 switch.jpg (44.32 KB)
209_6271c36adcdba.jpg 517X626 px

Posted on: 2022/5/3 19:07
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: 56 Ignition cylinder removal
Just popping in
Just popping in

noob
See User information
Thanks! I have been fiddling around trying exactly that since I first posted the question. No luck so far but I shall persist. Holy moley I just now got it!

Excelsior!!

Posted on: 2022/5/3 20:55
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved