Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 206

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Still stuck on a pin
Home away from home
Home away from home

happy
See User information
Thanks for the comments and information, VERY HELPFULL !!! Had a chance to crawl under today and verified that the short bar link is front and the long one is in back with the inside of the V dog bone points to the passenger side. So that’s good.
Shorted the down terminal that advanced the long bar far enough to contact the limit switch (it works!). With the limit switch activated the car is very close to level, with less than a quarter full gas tank. I am not sure that would make a difference or not.
If all goes well tomorrow, will try to remove short, drivers’ side, link pin
Happy
It’s tomorrow (today ha ha) there must be a way to change out the front link pins without using the “special” tool. I have tried clamping a one inch angle iron to the load arm , in an attempt to simulate the service tool shown in the service manual. May be if the car is up on a lift, and l could stand under and pull down with my full body weight it might move? But I seriously doubt it.
Next I tried a hydraulic jack under the elbow bend of the load arm. No rotation, but this can raise the car. So, this is not working either, and I am still stuck. As before and always, any, and all, help is deeply appreciated.

Attach file:

jpg  P5040016-3.jpg (75.02 KB)
4376_6272dc0166ad1.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  P5040014-3-1.jpg (83.69 KB)
4376_6272dc458f44d.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2022/5/4 15:06
 Top  Print   

Re: Still stuck on a pin
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Try putting your jack directly under the king pin as it will put more leverage that may not tend to lift the whole car as much. Just going by the photo and seeing the physics as I’ve not yet worked on one of these!

Posted on: 2022/5/4 15:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Happy, two thoughts come to mind.

1. Over the years there have been so many runs of reproductions of the tool you need, have you checked with nearby owners of the 1955/56 cars to see if you can borrow one? Not that I'd say they are plentiful, but many of the 55/56 owners I knew when I had mine owned one.

2. You can change the load arm pin without the special tool and some time back one or more methods have been posted on this site. Devote a little time with the search feature and you should find them.

Posted on: 2022/5/4 15:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

happy
See User information
YES ! Thanks for the comment. Marty, posted on 10-10 2021 a way to remove the pin without the special tool. Just what I was looking for. Once again THANKS!

Happy

Posted on: 2022/5/5 6:34
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved