Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 152

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 10 »

Re: 1956 Packard Patrician from Bring A Trailer
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ToddPackard
See User information
I appreciate everyone's optimism, insight, and well wishes for the project.

To answer a few:

Sorry about the vague "drives rough". The engine runs a bit rough but that is usually waiting at a light or stopped. while driving it feels good. Shifts fine but I haven't driven it more than 5 miles at a time and no faster than 35mph. I'll try and get it tuned up and see if that helps.

I'm going to replace the battery just to start fresh. Since the glove box doesn't latch it is possible that the battery is being drained from the light(which is out)in the glove box. I'll check an ammeter about other potential battery draining spots, too.

The rear windows sound exactly the same as they did going down. It sounds really good, it just isn't bringing the windows back up.

The interior doesn't bother me too much right now. but once I can get the car mechanically sound and running well, I'll be much more focused on that. I did just buy a new windshield wiper knob to replace the missing one.

Re: Pics of the brake, I'll send those over the weekend when I really get into working on the vehicle.

Posted on: 2022/7/14 12:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Todd - I forgot to mention that for belts look at Retrobelt. That's what I used in my car and they work great. Not hard to install and they are very functional. I didn't start taking my kids around in the car until I had those installed. I went with two belts in the back seat, but probably should have gone for three.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2022/7/14 15:56
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ToddPackard
See User information
Quote:

kevinpackard wrote:
look at Retrobelt. That's what I used in my car and they work great. Not hard to install and they are very functional.

Awesome. Those are what I bought. I might add anchors as well, as I have 2 kids in car seats.

Posted on: 2022/7/14 16:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
How many kids total are you needing belts for? If you did 3 belts in the rear, you could use two of them for car seats and one for another kid. You could also do 3 belts in the front.

I did 2 in the front and 2 in the back. I've fit the whole family (7) in the car, with the younger kids buckled and everyone else unstrapped. Not up to modern safety standards, but given that these cars didn't have belts at all originally it's at least an improvement. I don't drive the car fast, and the roads around us are light traffic and country.

If you do 3 buckles in the front or the back, you will need to provide additional support where the mounting bolts for middle and outer belts mount to the body. Otherwise you could pull the mounting bolts through the sheet metal in an accident.

Posted on: 2022/7/14 16:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
This is what you should have.

Relay. Right its window

Other. Door lock.

Attach file:

jpg  20220714_154752.jpg (414.02 KB)
4498_62d09d69c70cc.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2022/7/14 17:49
Riki
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ToddPackard
See User information
Quote:

kevinpackard wrote:
How many kids total are you needing belts for? If you did 3 belts in the rear, you could use two of them for car seats and one for another kid. You could also do 3 belts in the front.

I've got 2 kids but putting in 3 belts in the back and 2 belts up front for the driver and passenger.

Posted on: 2022/7/14 18:25
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ToddPackard
See User information
Thank you Riki! I'll check mine against that picture. Very helpful, very appreciated!

Posted on: 2022/7/14 18:26
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ToddPackard
See User information
Anyone know why this might be welded into the trunk?

The wire to fuel sending unit looks to be alright as they grounded the other end, and the fuel gauge went to full. So maybe just the sending unit?

Attach file:

jpeg  Resized-20220718-153352.JPEG (167.28 KB)
225635_62d891fd8b68a.jpeg 1008X756 px

Posted on: 2022/7/20 18:38
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you are speaking of the welded plate and it has approximately these dimensions as shown in photos provided by Ross, it was probably done by someone wanting to access the sender. Why they would weld it up again after going to all that trouble is a question though. A screw on plate would make more sense for the next time it was needed. Does the yellow wire go to the sender or is it just laying there?

Attach file:

jpg  51-6 trunk opening dimensions1.jpg (133.64 KB)
209_62d896cc7c766.jpg 1408X1056 px

jpg  51-6 trunk opening dimensions2.jpg (134.61 KB)
209_62d896d801a2d.jpg 1408X1056 px

Posted on: 2022/7/20 19:03
Howard
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ToddPackard
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Does the yellow wire go to the sender or is it just laying there?

Goes to the sender.

Posted on: 2022/7/20 19:07
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 10 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved