Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 147

Plugs1, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Question regarding side-mount equipped Packards
Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
I'm looking three Ninth and Tenth series Packards with an intent to purchase. One is a 902 coupe roadster; another is a 902 Phaeton and the third is a 1001 coupe roadster. All three have dual side-mounts, but none of them have the metal tire covers. But I see other examples of these models that do have the metal tire covers, including some pictured in the Beverly Rae Kimes book. One picture of a 1001 Sedan taken on the day of delivery also shows a copy of the dealer invoice which indicates that the car had Deluxe Equipment (side-mounts?). The picture clearly shows that the car has the metal covers on the spare tires. Question: Were the metal covers standard equipment that is missing on the three cars I am looking at or were they an option? Just trying to determine if something is missing that should be there.

Posted on: 2022/7/18 11:58
 Top  Print 

Re: Question regarding side-mount equipped Packards
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Firstly, the sidemounts themselves were extra-cost optional equipment, the standard equipment being a rear-mounted spare. Then, looking at the 1934 Accessory Catalog, the metal spare tire covers were an additional extra-cost item and I would expect that the same situation prevailed for 1932 and 1933, though I haven't looked at the accessory catalogs for those years. Not a fully definitive answer to your question but I hope this helps.

Attaching page 7 of the 11th Series Accessory Catalog.

Attach file:

jpg  34 acc pg 7.jpg (261.31 KB)
177_62d5a671ef786.jpg 1414X1920 px

Posted on: 2022/7/18 13:26
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
Thanks for this information. I always thought that the covers were standardly included on all side-mount equipped cars. They are rather difficult to put on and take off, so I assumed that later owners of these cars would frequently just toss them. Also, during WWII, I heard that if you had a side-mounted car, you were forced to turn in one of your spares as a contribution to the war effort due to the critical rubber shortage. So, one would assume that the cover would often be tossed out too.

It appears that the accessory catalog you attached is for the Tenth series, judging from the shape of the front fenders, but I think it is probably safe to assume that the metal covers were considered extra cost accessories for other series cars as well.

Posted on: 2022/7/19 9:48
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I assure you that the image I posted is from the 1934 11th Series Accessory Catalog. Use of illustrations from prior series cars was not at all uncommon. Enclosing the price listing from the same catalog, again indicating the metal covers were accessories.

My car apparently did not sacrifice one of its two spare tires, covers and wheels to the WW II effort and I suspect the reason is that the registration was suspended during the war years, from what the original owner told me, the chauffeur enlisted and she did not drive.

Attach file:

jpg  34 acc pg 2.jpg (208.79 KB)
177_62d6d2ee7d4eb.jpg 1429X1920 px

Posted on: 2022/7/19 10:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
Thanks for the clarification. The 1001 I'm looking at does not have the metal covers but I really like the look of them. Definitely makes the car look sportier and more streamlined. Unfortunately, it will probably cost more than $18 to add them, if I could even find a set at all.

Interesting story about your car being put in storage for the duration of the war after the chauffeur enlisted. This probably saved it. Far too many big classics were scrapped during the war. With gas rationing, owning one was a liability and the classic car movement hadn't really started yet. Sad to think of what was lost.

Posted on: 2022/7/19 11:44
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Subtle difference between 1933 and 1934 metal sidemount covers, location of the trim ring on the side cover. Finding either will be challenging.

Posted on: 2022/7/19 12:33
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Just popping in
Just popping in

Doug 2
See User information
Try Northfield Forming for sidecover stainless steel trim.
Phone 330 854-6003 Canal Fulton, Ohio. I purchased the sidemount cover stainless steel trim for my 1936 Packard 1402 Standard 8 Limo from them. They make the trim.

Posted on: 2022/12/9 23:48
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved