Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
223 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 220

TxGoat, BDeB, Bob Supina, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: hot start problem
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Another possible source of a vacuum leak is the upper diaphragm of the double acting fuel/vacuum pump.

Brian

Posted on: 2009/4/19 17:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I agree with all those possible sources of vacuum leak, but even if they all leak, I doubt that would make the car unstartable when hot to the extent that has been described. If indeed the problem is due to vacuum, it must be a very large leak. I'd think more in terms of a cracked manifold or something much more significant. And when I got it started I'd put a vacuum gauge on it to see what the running manifold vacuum is.

Posted on: 2009/4/19 18:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
I agree it takes a substantial vacuum leak to make the engine hard to start. However, I have had a worn engine that smaller leaks caused it problems in running smooth and starting. After rebuild, the engine started quite well cold or hot. But, the engine ran a little rough. I found a vacuum leak in the antenna. The vacuum line had gotten hard and split at the connection to the antenna. Replaced the line and the engine smoothed out.

So, If you haven't done so by now, check all of the items listed above. These items can accumulate and cause the kind of problem you seem to be having.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2009/4/23 20:34
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

fern51
See User information
tightened up bolts to carb and also all screws on the carb. a/p squirts gas when pedal depressed.ran car in garage till warm and then killed it and tried to restart.good news is that it started right up. will test drive this weekend weather cooperating. vacuum at idle is 20. will keep you posted.thanks for the ideas

Posted on: 2009/4/28 20:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Good news, 20 inches of vacuum at idle is just excellent, especially if the reading is very steady.

Posted on: 2009/4/28 20:50
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

fern51
See User information
very steady, goes upward of 26-28 when revved up a little

Posted on: 2009/4/28 21:04
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved