Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
35 user(s) are online (27 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 33

Larry Reber, BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Packard Axles
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Redhexagon
See User information
From my research, I've read that my 1955 Patrician has an axle built in-house by Packard.

Is that really all there is to it? Did Packard actually design and build their own axles entirely in-house or was it a licensed design bought from another company, like Hotchkiss or Dana?

It closely resembles the axles that Chrysler used around the same time...

What is the ring gear size?

I'm not having problems with mine, I'm just curious.

Posted on: 2022/9/13 2:18
1955 Patrician.
 Top  Print 

Re: Packard Axles
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
My understanding is Packard designed and built it's own axles up through 1955.

https://www.macsmotorcitygarage.com/1926-packard-pioneers-the-hypoid-final-drive/

In 1956 Packard introduced the new limited-slip "Twin Traction" differentials. Presumably as a cost-saving measure, all the axles, limited-slip or not, were manufactured by Dana, though the technology it seems was developed by Packard, the patent is 2769353 "DIFFERENTIAL GEARING" - Edward L. Nash, assigned to Studebaker-Packard Corporation, documented in SAE paper 560247 "The Packard non-spinning differential" by Forest McFarland and E.L. Nash.

Posted on: 2022/9/13 10:28
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Redhexagon
See User information
Seems the axle ratios for 1955 were 3.07, 3.23, and 3.54. I think mine is 3.23 by the way it feels while driving. I'll spin a wheel and check it sometime.

That's neat if Packard really did design and build their own axles entirely in-house. That would make them the only independent American manufacturer of the 1950's that designed and built their own transmissions and axles.

Posted on: 2022/9/26 2:49
1955 Patrician.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Nash also built their own and I'm pretty sure Hudson did too.

Posted on: 2022/9/26 6:17
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Redhexagon
See User information
All the Step-Down Hudsons that I've looked under had Dana-Spicer axles. Model 41's, I think.

I come from an AMC family and own quite a few myself. AMC had their own "model 15" and "model 20" axles that were unique to them and only used by them. I've seen model 15 and model 20 axles under Nashes all the way back to the 1940's. However, I do not know how "in-house" the design and production of those axles were. Word among AMC people is the axles were produced, at least partly, by Dana-Spicer for AMC. This would seem to make sense, given that the AMC model 15 became the Dana 35 after the Chrysler buyout of AMC.

Anyway, it's just fascinating to me.

Posted on: 2022/9/29 0:32
1955 Patrician.
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved