Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
54 user(s) are online (38 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 53

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1955 ID Tag on my 400
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve Henderson
See User information
I just bought a very nicely restored 1955 400. The ID tag is gone from the usual position on the driver's side door post. The mounting holes are there, but the tag apparently was lost during repainting. There is a substitute ID tag under the hood, made of professional-looking plastic, but (of course) not original. My question is, is there a way for the origina style ID tag to be re-manufactured and put back in the original location on the door post? I'd like the car to be as correct as possible. Any help appreciated.
Steve in Indiana

Posted on: 2022/9/13 3:52
Steve in Indiana

1949 Deluxe Eight Sedan
1955 400 Hardtop
1956 400 Hardtop
 Top  Print   

Re: 1955 ID Tag on my 400
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Whether or not there is a way to reproduce it, the VIN tag must NEVER be removed in any circumstances. As a licensed VIN verifier, seeing a replaced or reproduced VIN is an automatic failure and gets the vehicle referred to the California Highway Patrol. In some states, the vehicle could even be confiscated and destroyed due to a replaced VIN tag. In other words, steer far away from any vehicle without the tag in place as it left the factory.

Posted on: 2022/9/13 12:15
 Top  Print   

Re: 1955 ID Tag on my 400
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Don is not incorrect. However, it's worth pointing out that in many states, a VIN inspection is not required when transferring the title within the state. And some states it's not required even for an out of state title.

Moral is, be very careful.

Posted on: 2022/9/13 16:52
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved