Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 212

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

'56 Padded Dash
Just popping in
Just popping in

David
See User information
I couldn't find anything on the topic using the search engine.
Has anyone re-padded their dash or known anyone who did? I heard it can be done without taking the dash out and saw the excellent results [by removing the windshield trim and using a heat gun]. Any insight would be helpful.

David

Posted on: 2009/4/22 15:25
 Top  Print   

Re: '56 Padded Dash
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just Dashes on the West Coast does a lovely job if you've got the $. But if the vinyl skin in in good shape, you can do a credible job yourself. I used a heat gun to soften the vinyl and then peeled it back from the windshield after removing the trim. Clean the deteriorated material out, and you can purchase closed cell urethane foam, adhesive backed, in a variety of thicknesses from industrial supply houses like MSC (Harrisburg) or McMaster-Carr. Others have done it similarly and usually with very good results so long as the vinyl cover is still intact and pliable.

I suspect others will come along and offer more detail.

Posted on: 2009/4/22 15:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
What O-D said, and the operative word is pliable. Out here sitting in desert sun the stuff turns stiff as a board and splits & tears VERY easily. There was no saving mine, also the padding turns very gummy and just disintegrates. That may be the worst in trying to get enough out to make the new pad smooth without damaging the vinyl. In your cooler climate, we'll hope for the best.

Posted on: 2009/4/22 15:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If the skin is in good condition, you should be able to do at least this good. This took about 4 hours on a warm day with the top down and in the sun to keep the vinyl soft.

Attach file:

jpg  (63.12 KB)
177_49ef97a280b2d.jpg 807X579 px

Posted on: 2009/4/22 17:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
A good auto upholstery shop can recover a padded dash. You have to strip off the old covering and padding. Then cover with landau padding, 1/4" thick foam rubber. Over that goes your vinyl.

Depending on the shape of the dash you may have to cut and sew a cover to fit, others can be done with one piece of vinyl.

Posted on: 2009/4/22 17:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Covering a 56 dash with new vinyl is a daunting task for any shop because of the seam which MUST meet the metal contour of the lower dash. I haven't seen Just Dashes restoration on any 56 yet, but I have seen several upholstery shops ruin good material. Most of them cannot get the profile right. If you look at a side view of the front fender at the headlight you have a good idea how the profile of the dash should appear. It is NOT a roll - it more closely resembles a wave coming in. It curves up and out and then almost straight back. As I said it follows the contour of the front fender.

Posted on: 2009/4/22 19:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
Kapich has done them also. or should i say his wife. my uncle got one from them and i installed it. however it was a complete "upper" dash. so the whole dash had to come out to do it. it came out pretty nice once it was done.

Posted on: 2009/4/23 20:14
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

David
See User information
Thanks again guys; a great help.

D.

Posted on: 2009/4/24 11:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Owen. what is the rectangular thing on the glove box door. And the square thing on upper rite corner of dash????

BTW, VERY NICE interior.

Posted on: 2009/4/24 12:28
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
And where did u get the color matching seat belts???

Posted on: 2009/4/24 12:30
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved