Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
24 user(s) are online (17 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 24

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fuel/Carburetor Issue Help
Home away from home
Home away from home

CCR
See User information
Forgive my ignorance, still learning, so this may be a simple one for most of you pros.

What are some adjustments I can make or things to look through to deal with what I assume is too much fuel pushing through?

I wasn't having any issues, then after some battery issues, and then chasing the wrong issue (gasket), I am getting the following now (I thought it was flooding at one point).

Thanks.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uVphJ32n2TdQVtrC9

Posted on: 2022/11/24 21:52
 Top  Print 

Re: Fuel/Carburetor Issue Help
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
From the steady dripping, looks as if fuel is overflowing the float bowl so the float valve may not be closing. It could be the float sprung a leak and sank to the bottom of the bowl so the valve is being kept open. The carb could have taken some kind of hit and float was knocked off a pivot and is now stuck and cannot move to close the valve. If you have an electric pump it could be the output pressure is too high and is forcing the valve off the seat. If the car has recently been put back in service some of the old rebuild kits had rubber tip valves and some of those rubber compounds do not like ethanol or additives found in modern fuel so the valve could be damaged.

Less likely but also a possibility is a fuel input screen in or even before the carb is missing or damaged and some kind of debris has gotten into the carb and is keeping the valve from sealing against the seat. Again, if recently back in service there could have been something in the carb that floated up or dislodged and is causing a problem.

Posted on: 2022/11/24 22:53
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CCR
See User information
Thanks for the tips. I'll try and do some deeper dives based on your suggestions-- starting with the float valve.

Posted on: 2022/11/25 17:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CCR
See User information
Opened it up, checked the float valve (good), took the fuel line off, took the fuel line connector off to check that "valve", and made a minor twist to the idle screw and that either did it or the gremlin left the car. Now I can focus on maintenance instead of life support.

Posted on: 2022/11/26 20:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Wonderful!

Posted on: 2022/11/26 20:38
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved