Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 141

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fuel Gage not working all of a sudden
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Hi Folks,

Well, my fuel gage all of a sudden stopped working. The tank is full, I measured ~8 ohms at the sensor. I tried grounding the sensor and that didn't seem to work, but I will try again. Maybe there is an issue with the wiring to the gage, but if not, what other steps should I be looking at? The temperature gage is working. This is for a 1953 Cavalier with the 327 and an auto.

Posted on: 2022/11/24 23:47
 Top  Print 

Re: Fuel Gage not working all of a sudden
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The 51-56 senders should read approximately 70-75 ohms at empty and around 10 at full. If the tank is full the 8 ohms would be about right.

Grounding the wire to the gauge should have caused the needle to gradually move all the way up past the full mark Not a quick jump movement but as the heater warms the bimetal a reasonably fast and smooth climb. Since the temp and fuel gauges are fed with the same wire from the instrument regulator and the temp gauge works we can assume the regulator is working. Depending on where the gauge was grounded for the test, if at the tank and no movement could mean a bad or disconnected wire going to the gauge. If you grounded at the sender terminal on the gauge then a bad gauge. If a short developed somewhere in the wire and the gauge was at a hard ground for more than a fairly short amount of time it could have burned out. If there was some kind of hard jar to the cluster the needle could have jumped out of position or off a support or is touching the glass.

Posted on: 2022/11/25 0:19
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Do you mean by "not working" it's reading something other than full with the tank full?
If not electrical, could be the float is stuck or toast/pin holed, too.

Posted on: 2022/11/25 12:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Hi Folks,

I fixed the problem! It was some of the wiring in the trunk. Those wires are pretty exposed and must have gotten kinked making a bad connection. I replaced a section of wire, and wrapped the whole bunch in electrical tape to keep it less easy to snag on.

What it was doing was it was reading "empty". So no current - no heating the bimetallic - no fuel indicated. Works like before now.

Thank you everyone!

Posted on: 2022/11/25 13:06
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved